Friday, August 26, 2011

"Clocks Like Hearts"

My uncle died in a motorcycle accident a year ago today. I went back through my notes and things to see if I had written anything that day, and it was that day that I wrote this, which I entitled "Clocks Like Hearts" on Facebook. (This was before I had a blog, remember.) I thought I'd share it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~


There isn't anyone who could guess at this tonight. It's always that - tonight, today, tomorrow. We count the seconds, we hold our clocks like hearts. A moment here and a moment gone. Days broken down into exact measurements of hours, of seconds. Of moments.

That's the kind of life that we have.

There isn't time for guessing, there is no room for mistakes. Let's not get ahead of ourselves. Let's not be stupid.

Routine can sometimes be a blessing, if you're asking for a little bit of sequence in a drowning moment.



I'm buried. I'm done.



I want to know you. I want to have forever to know you.
But all I have is a moment.
I am here; I'll always be here. No. I'm here now, and hopefully whenever you need me. But I make no promises. I never make promises anymore.

Today was beautiful, but my soul still clung to my wristwatch.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

--Emily