Monday, February 13, 2012

Daily Words: Week 6

Day thirty-six! The word is...
sieve
[siv]
noun.
an instrument with a meshed or perforated bottom, used for separating coarse from fine parts of loose matter, for straining liquids, etc.
-or-
a person who cannot keep a secret.

Found: while reading Fahrenheit 451

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Day thirty-seven. I feel like I've done this one before, but I don't think I actually have. I have looked it up before, but it didn't stick.
The word is....

insidious
[in-sid-ee-uh' s]
adjective.
operating or proceeding in an inconspicuous or seemingly harmless way but actually with grave effect

Found: while reading Fahrenheit 451, among other places.
Like the movie, which I've heard about but never seen.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Day thirty-eight. The word is...
androgynous
[an-droj-uh-nuhs]
being both male or female; hermaphroditic
-or-
neither clearly masculine nor clearly feminine in appearance


Found: while reading an article online.


~~~~~~~~~~~~


Day Thirty-Nine!
Whoohoo!...
ecumenical
[ek-yoo-men-i-kuhl ]
adjective.
general; universal
-or-
promoting or fostering Christian unity throughout the world


Found: while reading an essay for Creative Nonfiction.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Day Forty
And I just realized that you don't spell 40 like "fourty."
I never knew this.
ANYWAY! The word is....
odious
[oh-dee-uhs]
adjective.
deserving or causing hatred--highly offensive


Found: in the movie One Day


~~~~~~~~~~~~


I'm switching to numbers now. 
Day 41. The word is....

idiosyncrasy
[id-ee-uh-sing-kruh-see]
noun.
a characteristic, habit, mannerism, or the like, that is peculiar to an individual

Found: said by my Poetry teacher, Mr. Jaycox, in class today.

~~~~~~~~~~~~


Day 42. =)
The word is...

innate
[ih-neyt, in-eyt]
adjective.
existing in one from birth; native

Found: while watching The Day After Tomorrow.


~~~~~~~~~~~~


--Emily