Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Simplicity = Sacrifice

I should be writing a paper, or studying for my lab practical tomorrow, but I remember having something to say and wanting to write it down. But I was thinking about that while in the shower, which is the least opportune time to write something down. I think it had to do with sacrifices.

Remember my post the other day about simplicity? I'm coming to terms with the fact that if I want to reach simplicity, I have to embrace sacrifice.

Today I decided that I cannot go to prom with Deacon this year because I just don't have the money for it. I know I have a job, but things are really tight. I feel incredibly bad about the decision--I got to go to both of my high school proms, and even though he went last year as Jenna's date, I still want him to experience his own prom. I've been stressing out over everything lately, and saving up for prom just added to it. So in order to eliminate the stress and problems that going to prom created, I decided it would be best for me to not go.

Deacon was so understanding about the whole thing. I truly couldn't ask for someone that fits me better than he does, nor do I want to.

I just have to be able to accept that no matter how hard I try, there is only so much I can do. I can't make everyone happy 100% of the time and still have my sanity.

I've been trying to pray a lot more lately, and it actually really helps. Seeking Jesus during times of trouble, and even during times of joy, and all the times in between, keeps me calm and happy and on track. He gives me a purpose. He gives me support. He comforts me and holds my hand.

Also, I've decided to start making a list of things to remember whenever I have children. (Which is wayy off in the future, let me assure you!) I feel like I have a lot of opinions and ideas now that I want to remember then, and I need to start writing it all down.

This, I think, will be a job for my handy-dandy red Moleskine notebook that I keep on my person at all times.

Time to go write that paper!
Wish me luck.

--Emily