Saturday, February 4, 2012

Simplicity

I'm searching for simplicity
in a world that craves complexity.


Photobucket


Lately, I've really been pondering the idea of simplicity.

In Poetry and The Human Experience (I never really say the whole title, but I thought y'all should know the full name of the class) today, my teacher got on this big rant today after we read Whitman's "I Hear America Singing." I've never cared much for the poem, and apparently neither does Mr. Jaycox, but he just went off talking about how America was so much better in 1860 when things were so much simpler. At first, I wasn't agreeing with a lot of what he said. But then he started talking about how Americans are always craving more, when the answer is really less.

For example, if one has a medical problem, these days we just add on one more pill, instead of cutting out less of what caused the problem in the first place.

If one is experiencing stress, they'll take more medication, when they really should just cut things out of their schedule and do less.

And so on and so forth.

It really got me thinking.


~~~~~~~~~~~~


Just something to think about.
Like when times are silent--
when my surroundings hush--
Like I have a separate section stored
          within the depths of my brain
          dedicated to random things worthy of thought.
I'll ponder them--not put them off--
I'll encounter conclusion eventually,
but not due to layaway. Instead deliberation
and careful examination of all perspectives.

I am not afraid of thought.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

--Emily

1 comment:

  1. This really struck a chord with me. I've been so on-the-go lately that I haven't taken time to just slow down and enjoy life. I really do long for a more simple life. One not so caught up with stuff and things and events.

    ReplyDelete