Sunday, April 1, 2012

Daily Words: Week 14

Day 92.
The word is...

dapper
[dap-er]
adjective.
neat; trim; smart
-or-
small and active

Found: Grey's Anatomy, season five. 
(We finished watching the season today!!)

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Day 93. The year I was born.
The word is...

rue
[roo]
verb.
to feel sorrow over; repent of; regret bitterly

Found: all over the place.
I feel like I might have used it before as a word, but not sure that I have.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Day 94.
The word is...

histrionic
[his-tree-on-ik]
adjective.
of or pertaining to actors or acting
-or-
overly dramatic in behavior or speech

Found: Nickel and Dimed by Barbara Ehrenreich.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Day 95.
The word is...

bourgeois
[boor-zhwah, boor-zhwah; Fr. boor-zhwa]
noun.
a member of the middle class.

Found: Nickel and Dimed by Barbara Ehrenreich.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Day 96.
The word is...

brusque
[bruhsk; especially Brit. broosk]
adjective.
abrupt in manner; blunt or rough

Found: in Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, chapter 20.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Day 97.
The word is...

intrepid
[in-trep-id]
adjective.
resolutely fearless.

Found: in Sweeney Todd (I think.)


~~~~~~~~~~~~


Day 98. Gettin' close!
The word is...

uncouth
[uhn-kooth]
adjective.
awkward; clumsy
-or-
unusual or strange

Found: in Titanic.
(We saw it in 3D today!)

~~~~~~~~~~~~

I know I'm way behind on posting.
--Emily