Monday, June 18, 2012

The Accolade

The Accolade by Edmund Blair Leighton

I am pleased to announce that I have decided to get baptized next Sunday. I've been wanting to do this for years, but it never felt like the right time when my church was having a Baptismal Sunday, but now I am certain. You see, I grew up in a Lutheran church and was baptized as a baby. I went to that church for most of my life, studying the Lutheran faith up until the start of high school, when I started instead going to the church I attend now, Fellowship of Free Will Baptist.

Now I wish to be baptized to symbolize my salvation through Christ--as a baby, I didn't have much say over anything. But now, I am saved and wish to live for God, so I think this baptism is more than appropriate.

I first saw this painting, or one very similar, inside the house of a friend. I was pondering it yesterday in my Appreciation of Music class, and wrote this poem.

My life is sworn, my loyalty sworn,
now I kneel before your sword
with my head bent low as you bestow
my knighthood and name so all my know
that I'll fight for you, I'll die for you,
I'll cross the land and waters for you
and carry your name across the terrain
as a testament that I became
a servant to my love for you--
take up my cross and follow you--

and by your Grace, I'll honor you.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

On a completely separate note, Karlee and I have been listening to a lot of Taylor Swift lately, and she found this Harry Potter video to her song "Long Live." It's not bad, so I thought I'd share it.


--Emily