Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Before // After--Marching Band

I went back home this past weekend so I could attend the marching band competition that Deacon was competing in. It was a great day for the festival! Before Central went on to perform, I broke out my camera on the band before them for practice photos.

That is when I took this:
Photobucket
Before

Pretty average photo. As I'm sure you have heard me say before, I don't have a zoom lens--which is really disheartening for me because I love zoom, but there's not much to do about it, haha. Anyway, as soon as I saw this picture, I instantly had an image in my mind of how I would edit it. I was so excited!

So, here's what I did:

  • I took it to Picmonkey.
  • Cropped to highlight the center Colorguard and to take out the track, judge, extra space, etc., but still left some band members in formation behind her.
  • Sharpened the image.
  • Took it to Curves--> Daguerreotype "Plumbe," I believe, with the color override at 75%. 
  • Still on the option above, I painted over the colorguard's flag and clothes with the "Original" option, but only at 40%. We don't want her to stand out too much.
  • I then added just minor effects, like a little bit of "Orton" and a little bit of "Dark Edges."
Photobucket
After
I just love the elegance that the guard has in this photo. My only regret is that this picture is not of the band I went to see! But isn't that how it always works out?

--Emily