Wednesday, November 21, 2012

NaNoWriMo Excerpt: Chapter Six, Part One

I know it's been awhile since I've posted anything, and believe me, I probably hate it more than any of you do. BUT if you're still here, reading faithfully, I'd like to say thank-you. Writing 50,000 words in a month has proved to be as difficult and stressful as I had imagined...and I still have nine more days to go.

I've fallen behind a bit--in terms of me starting ahead, that is--and am currently resting at 37,439. It seems like 50,000 is still so far away, though. Week three has honestly been the hardest so far. My words have been getting stuck and what I do get out is not of fine quality. I've been getting flustered and putting off writing, only to get angry at myself later on for not trudging through the words.

I did manage to write over 2,000 words yesterday, though, which boosted my confidence a bit. I just need to be able to do that every day.

I had originally planned to give you another excerpt from this chapter, but after going through, I decided that I liked this one better. It's funny--no matter how much you plan, you never know how a character is going to turn out until you're actually writing his words. I had no idea I would have this fun between Riley and Anthony, but I am certainly not complaining.




Every time she saw Anthony, it was as though someone had just injected a serum of abhorrence into her veins. She found it extremely difficult to like him, given his condescending nature and pretentious attitude towards everything he spoke about. Riley could only imagine what kind of children would be produced if he married Josie; they would probably think themselves so high above the rest of society that they would have to go to outer space in order to live comfortably.
A grin stretched across Riley’s face at this thought, though she kept it hidden from Anthony’s view.
“You can’t ignore me forever, you know. It was, after all, your idea to dive in to the pasts of all of us.”
“It’s not your turn,” Riley snarled.
“Well, you only have three others before you get to me. That’s not a whole lot of time to alleviate your aggression.”
“Then maybe I’ll just skip you,” she said coldly, turning around on her heel to face him.
“Oh,” he said, eyebrows arching wildly, “now, what kind of impression would that make on the others…most importantly, on dear Bryan?”
It was a good thing that Riley had not drawn a plate from the cabinet, for if she had, it would have crashed onto the floor.
“I don’t know what you mean,” she fumed.
“Ah...so we’re back to that again? You acting like a brainless wonder?”
“You need to leave right now,” she said hotly as she advanced forward. If he had been an insect, she would have already squashed him and smeared his innards over the pavement.
He did not falter in any way. “Don’t you want to know about the voices? Aren’t you tired of the constant guessing game?”
“I know about the voices!” she exclaimed. “They belong to people from your past. If you had been listening earlier, perhaps you would have heard me. That is, assuming that anything can get through that enormously thick skull of yours…”
“They’re devices. They’re to—”
“You’re wasting your time—”
“What about Cameron?” he shouted over Riley.
She stopped. “He’s fine.”
“What if someone has him? What if he’s trapped behind that door with the rest of them—with people like the man from Shanely’s memory?”
“You’re just trying to scare me,” she murmured.
“If you cared about him, perhaps it’s worth knowing for certain. You can’t just go through us like lab rats without examining all of the facts—”
“I am fully capable of uncovering the facts by myself, thank you.”
“Then tell me why I’m here. Tell me what voices I hear every night.”
She looked at him, furious. “I couldn’t care less about you or what kind of voices you hear. And maybe you ended up here because, unlike the others, you actually deserve to be.”
And without stopping to study his reaction, Riley exited the room and stormed down the corridor to meet up with Kori.



Well, I better get back to writing...and if I don't get to tell you tomorrow, have a happy Thanksgiving!

--Emily