Friday, November 2, 2012

NaNoWriMo & Zombies

It's here. November.

I have never participated in NaNoWriMo (the basics: write a novel in one month with a total of 50,000 words, averaging at 1,667 words per day) before, but decided on Halloween that I would embark on this literary adventure. You're supposed to start with a completely new idea that you have not majorly developed yet, but I decided to use this month to instead encourage me to finish the story that I've been developing here and there for four years.

I've spoken of it here before and you might have caught a few excerpts, but I have never actually sat down and written a rough draft of it. Goals and challenges help a great deal in motivating me, however--as was made apparent this past week when I fought to finish writing a rough draft of a short story for my Creative Writing class--and I think this will be a perfect opportunity to better develop my writing habits.

Right now, my novel rests at 10,631 words, 890 of which have be written today (I still have a ways to go to meet today's goal). Unfortunately I was unable to write any of the novel yesterday as I was trekking through the realm of my short story, which currently rests at 2,618 words. This story is supposed to only be between 2,000 and 2,500 words, so hopefully I can downsize it a bit during revising.

Anyway, I thank you all for the support, and I know I will only continue to need it. If you're curious or want to keep an eye on me, you can check out my progress here. I doubt I will be very present over the course of this month, though I will try to pop in every now and again.

OTHER IMPORTANT NEWS.
Two things.

  1. My loan finally went through, so no more financial aid stress
  2. My mother was in a car wreck yesterday and made it out just fine.
She was sitting at a red light and was hit by the car behind her. Thankfully, she was wearing her seat belt and she says this saved her life.

I just want to take a few moments to reflect on the Lord and all of the heartache he has delivered me from this week, because it could have all gone much differently. He continues to bless me though I do little to deserve it, and I am so, so, so thankful to be called his child.


ALSO.
I went trick-or-treating with my friend Janelle for Halloween. It was my first time in four years, and yes, I know I'm nineteen years old and a junior in college, but it was super fun.

And here's me as a truly frightening zombie girl:
IMG_7879-resized


P.S. Did you know that if you're polite and say thank you when someone gives you candy, they will give you more?

--Emily