Friday, April 12, 2013

A short list of poems recently read.

You've heard it once, you'll hear it again--April is National Poetry Month. I haven't been writing nearly as much as I usually do, but thanks to my American Poetry and American Literature II classes, I've been able to get some reading done.

So I wanted to make a list of some poems that I've read recently that stuck out to me. =)

Also, have I mentioned the website Shmoop on here before? It's awesome. I mean really, really awesome. It's a bit like Sparknotes, except a bajillion times better.

That's right. A bajillion.

anyway. It gives really great summaries of well-known poetry, as well as literature and other stuff, and it's been a real help to me these past few weeks. Best of all, it's not boring to read. They're actually pretty humorous. They speak student.

I'm getting off topic, though. Here's the list:


  • "Fog" by Carl Sandburg
    • I love this poem. I mean I really, really love this poem. I even chose it as the subject as my last Explication paper in my American Poetry class, even though it wasn't one of the poems we covered in class. It's only six lines. It compares fog to a cat. But something about "The fog comes / on little cat feet." just sticks with me.
  • "The Red Wheelbarrow" by William Carlos Williams
    • I think I might have read this poem before this year. You may have, too. It's pretty short. It doesn't say a whole lot. Or does it? It's one of those poems that you think is probably really, really deep....but it's so abstract that you can't begin to decipher where the depth leads to. For that, I think it's a bit hilarious. But I think overall, it says something about the importance of every-day objects. Or maybe someone is just in the process of slaughtering chickens. *shrug*
  • "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock" by T.S. Eliot
    • Let me just say that I have put off reading T.S. Eliot for a long time. A long time...in fact, reading this poem on Wednesday was the first time I had ever read Eliot. And up until then I didn't know what it was that made me shy away from him, but now I know.
      I hated reading his poems. I even had a tweet about how I wanted to claw my eyeballs out. But with a bit of patience and guidance from Shmoop, I've begun to appreciate this poem. I like having read it. Not necessarily the process of reading it, though.
      Now with that hearty introduction...enjoy!
  • "The Widow's Lament in Springtime" by William Carlos Williams
    • Depressing. But for some reason, I'm drawn to depressing poems. Not much else I can say about this one, really.
  • "Home Burial" by Robert Frost
    • This also falls into the category of "I-like-having-read-it-but-I-absolutely-hated-reading-it." It's pretty lengthy, and generally I'm not a fan of poems that turn into some sort of story/drama/stuff with multiple characters. But, Mr. Frost had plenty of variety in his poetry, so we must commend him for that.
      So, basically there's a wife and husband. Their child is dead. And they're having some communication problems. They each are dealing with their grief differently and they don't understand each other. You kinda just want to sit them down in a room and tell them to actually listen to each other. 
  • "Telling the Bees" by John Greenleaf Whittier
    • Sorry, no Shmoop for this one. It's talking about an old practice about draping beehives with black after someone has died. A man is coming to his beloved's home after a period of time away and sees the black drapings and he think the grandfather must have passed away. Sadly, though, he finds in the end that that is not the case...
  • "Tulips" by Sylvia Plath
    • This is actually one I didn't have to read for a class! Big surprise, right? Me reading Sylvia Plath in my free time. A real shocker.
      The title of this one is a bit deceiving. It's not happy-glowy-Springtime. In fact, it's kind of the opposite of happy-glowy-Springtime. Again, big surprise, right?
--Emily

P.S. If you don't hear from me for awhile, it's because I've collapsed under the weight of my American Lit II study guide.
Have a nice weekend, see you in May.

currently listening to: Sloom by Of Monsters and Men