Monday, September 30, 2013

In Regards to Future Posts

IMG_1256-41

I have fallen into a sort of dilemma here on To Be Real.

Last week, I decided that it was time to try and enter some of my work into various poetry contests. I found quite a few that I wanted to enter, but noticed that the work entered had to be previously unpublished. At first I thought this did not apply to me, since I've never had any of my work published in any sort of magazine, nor have I entered any kind of contests before. But with researching a bit further, I found that a work is technically considered "published" if I have posted it on my personal blog.

And since most of my work is posted on my blog, it is ineligible.

So what am I to do?

Unfortunately, the only solution is to stop posting my work on my blog. Now do not misunderstand me--I am not saying I will stop blogging, nor will I stop writing. I will continue to do both. The majority of my writing, however, will be kept private from now on. This includes verse, poetry, short stories, memoirs, or any excerpts from my still-unfinished novel.

There may be rare occasions where I still post some things, but it will not be as frequent as before. I wish there was another way to deal with this, but if I hope to get any of my work published in the future, it needs to stay private until the right time.

--Emily
currently listening to: Rivers and Roads by The Head and the Heart


1 comment:

  1. Yeah, that's the rough part of trying to get stuff published. You want feedback to see if it's good, but then as soon as it appears anywhere online, it's ineligible to be submitted 90% of places. Also, if you want any suggestions for publications to submit to, let me know. I've been doing this for a while. :)

    ReplyDelete