Friday, October 4, 2013

The Book Thief Movie // Trailer Review

Still from "The Book Thief".

I first read The Book Thief in high school, around sophomore or junior year. I loved it. I'm reading it again now, and I love it even more than before, if that's even possible.

It's honestly one of the best books I have ever read.
And that's kind of saying a lot, because I like to judge things harshly.

Through Leisel, this book made me fall in love with words.
Through Death, this book made me fall in love with writing.

And that's the thing about it. There are two reasons why it is phenomenal:
  1. the story
  2. the way it's told
So, let's talk about the trailer for a moment:


I have been waiting for a long time for this movie to be made. I'm glad it wasn't rushed into, though--a book like this needs a movie that does it justice. And I'm confident that that's what we'll see in November.

There a lot of things I love about this trailer.

  • The set and everything looks great--as close to what I imagined as possible.
  • The music. At first, I felt unsure, but at the moment Geoffrey Rush appears, the tune picks up and it's beautiful. 
  • Speaking of Geoffrey Rush, I think he is a fabulous choice to play Hans. 
  • In fact, I think that all of the actors here are the best we could have hoped for.
  • The only one I'm skeptical about is the boy they have playing Rudy. He looks okay. Maybe it's just because we don't see him so much in the trailer--and when we do, he's constantly asking questions.
Ah, and now we come to some of my qualms:
  • To me, I feel like Rudy is a major part of the story, but he's barely in this trailer.
  • The trailer is instead dominated by Max.
  • Now, I'll cut them some slack. This might just be my own opinion, because during this second read-through of the book, I find that Max is just as major of a character. I don't know what it was about my first reading, but I didn't connect with Max's character then the way I have this time.
  • I do not like the way the trailer begins. I think it has the wrong vibe, but this is changed the moment that Hans arrives. Perhaps this is what they meant to do, though, because that moment is such a major shift in Leisel's life.
  • Now, my number one problem with this trailer: there are two narrators within it, and neither of them is Death. I'm told Death will narrate the movie, however...and perhaps it would have been confusing to people who had never read the book if he had narrated the trailer, but I still cringe a little whenever I hear Leisel's voice in the beginning.
Overall, I'm really excited for it.
You should be, too.

--Emily
currently listening to: Radioactive by Imagine Dragons