Monday, November 4, 2013

Day Four // currently: 7,778 words

42,222 to go.
Chipping away at the block, one word at a time.

I wanted to talk about why I'm doing NaNo.
Because initially, I had talked myself out of writing this year. My friend Jenn is the one who convinced me to try it again, and she has been a great encouragement thus far.

But why NaNoWriMo? What convinced me to try it last year? Why was I so easily persuaded to try it this year?

A multitude of reasons. One, I've always wanted to write a novel. And publish a novel. In fact, it's pretty high up there on my bucket list. But that's what everyone says, right? Everyone wants to write a novel.

How many of those people actually do?

I've never completed one. Does that come as a surprise, I wonder? As much as I write, and as much as I'm in love with words and writing, I have never completed a novel. I've gotten pretty close with last year's NaNo project--still unofficially titled "The Dead Dream"--and surpassed 50,000 words, but it is still sitting in the archives of my computer, fragmented and incomplete.

That's one reason why I'm doing this--to switch to a new story, in hopes to have new inspiration for The Dead Dream, which I have literally been working on for five years.

It also, surprisingly, helps me manage my time better. I get my homework done long before it's due because I know I will have limited time to do it. I sacrifice naps to get extra words in. I lay Pinterest and Netflix aside and actually do something. And I get to reward myself later with peanut butter cups.

Another reason: my head is constantly filled with stories and ideas and characters and the events that shape their fictional lives, and I mull over them and greet them kindly every day, but I find it hard to actually write all of it down. But that's what NaNo is all about--to not worry about perfection, editing, or anything. It's about getting your story out. In words. On paper. (or virtual paper).

And I'm so surprised by how much more I discover about those stories and characters and events and backgrounds and settings just by writing, not planning.

My plot changes--I discover holes along the road, and several detours between point A and B. Minor characters become main characters. Archenemies become cousins. Characters get yelled at by angry florists. The elderly are exterminated and a boy makes a rickshaw out a wheelchair and a hospital bed.

And my story gets written.

--Emily
currently listening to: River Flows in You by Yiruma