Monday, November 10, 2014

I wasn't always a Taylor Swift fan.


It's 2007. My dad is driving me to school. He has the radio on, as always. And then some country song called "Our Song" comes on the radio.

I hate country music, but I cannot decide how I feel about this song.

A little while later, I see this video. It has the guy from One Tree Hill in it. I relatively liked it.


But I wasn't sold yet. I do remember seeing a magazine around this time with her picture on the cover. And I just stood there in the aisle of the supermarket for a few minutes staring at her. And I remember thinking, "She is the most beautiful lady I have ever seen."

But then more singles started coming out. She was gaining popularity.
And it seemed the more popular she got, she the more I started to feel repulsed by her.

Fearless was released and everyone went into a craze. "Love Story" was literally everywhere.


And that's when I couldn't stand it anymore. I proclaimed to the world that I did not like Taylor Swift. Sure, I liked a few of her songs, (particularly "Breathe") but not her. Oh no, not her. Nevermind if this was based on the way she talked about Joe Jonas. She was a beautiful, awful person and I wanted nothing to do with her.


But then a series of events started to happen.
I felt horrible for her for the whole Kanye incident:


"You Belong With Me" became my mantra for my senior year of high school.


(Like, it was freaky how accurate it was.)

I fell in love with "Enchanted," which played during the trailer of The Vow.
(terrible movie, great trailer)

Then "Back to December" grew on me and I broke down and bought Speak Now.
(Actually, thinking back...I don't think that's right. I think I had bought it for someone else or got it as a secret Santa or something and had it lying around unopened for a long time.)


Then I listened through Red, and as predicted, I absolutely loved half the songs and absolutely hated the other half. But by then, I was okay with that. And "All Too Well" remains my favorite T Swift song.

So now, 1989 is out. I've listened through it several times.
I don't like it as much as Red, but I do appreciate how Taylor has embraced a new sound that feels more her, instead of trying to stay in the country mold but inevitably swaying into the land of pop. And, keeping up with the tradition that I don't like her songs when I first hear them, "Out of the Woods" has gone from annoying to I-can't-get-enough-of-it.

And though I don't always agree with the way she acts, I've learned not to judge her so harshly. I'm never going to agree 100% with the way anyone acts (except Emma Watson because she's clearly an angel from above) and I can't hold her against something she said when she was 18 because I said a whole lot of stupid things when I was 18. Public opinions should allow for personal growth. No one is ever going to stay exactly the way they were 5 years ago.

There are plenty of things that she does that I think is wonderful, like her obsession with cats or the way that even though she's become a pop-culture icon, she still seems like a human being. I don't like or agree with why she took all her albums off of Spotify, but I can respect her decision.

And even though I'm not a huge fan of her new songs, I love the way she makes fun of herself and the way the media portrays her in her two latest music videos.



She's changed a lot over the years and so has my opinion of her. But now, I'm pretty much to the point where I can say, I don't care if everyone else in the world loves her and I don't care if she's occasionally a terrible person--that song is pretty catchy.

And on a final note, I know most of you have seen this but it is impossible to get enough of it.
And for those who haven't seen it, it will change your life:


(the audio and video had to be slightly sped up to get around copyrights)

P.S. I'm a weird person and found out that Taylor Swift uses this lip pencil even though I have absolutely no intention to purchase it.

--Emily