Saturday, January 10, 2015

Beautiful People #5 Linkup

I don't always do these, but it's fun every now and then.

This linkup is hosted by Cait and Sky. The questions center around the authors and our personal writing habits, which is a topic I'm always a bit nervous to talk about. But despite that, I'd thought it'd be fine to answer the questions anyway.


1. How many years have you been writing? When did you officially consider yourself a ‘writer’?
I began writing stories in 6th grade, when I was about eleven years old. And once I started, a wrote a lot. I guess I'd been writing things before that, too, like in journals and diaries, but it really took off in middle school. It slowed down in high school and I focused more on poetry around graduation, but now I'm starting to get back into writing stories.

2. How/why did you start writing?
I have an overactive imagination.
I used to take my dog on walks in our backyard and pretend I was stranded on an island with a pet fox. And that turned into my first story.

3. What’s your favorite part of writing?
I love finding out more about characters and seeing them come to life. I also love with two things connect out of no where when developing the plot, or I find out how I could use metaphor or foreshadowing. It makes me ridiculously excited.

4. What’s your biggest writing struggle?
Completing anything.
I'm also really bad at description.

5. Do you write best at night or day?
I'm a night person through and through, but I always feel more accomplished if I'm able to write a little bit before noon. My ideas always come at night, though.

6. What does your writing space look like? 
Laptop, notebook, and many, many hot baths.

7. How long does it typically take you to write a complete draft?
I've actually never completed a draft. I've gotten close and I always have the ending planned out, I just always struggle to actually get there, let alone go back and edit everything.

8. How many projects do you work on at once?
One at a time, though my mind might like to develop plot points of other stories in the meantime.

9. Do you prefer writing happy endings, sad ones, or somewhere in between?
I very rarely write happy endings. People die or something tragic always seems to happen.

10. List a few authors who have influenced your writing journey.
Sylvia Plath, Markus Zusak, J. K. Rowling. You know, the masters.

11. Do you let people read your writing? Why or why not?
Occasionally, yes. But not very often. I'm really self-conscious about it.

12. What’s your ultimate writing goal or dream?
I just want to write something to the best of my ability. I want to write a story that I'm 100% satisfied with and that I love, and one that I think others may love, too.

13. If you didn’t write, what would you want to do?
I do a lot of other things besides write and I'm not expecting to make a living as a professional writer (though that would be cool). I also like photography and reading and other things.

14. Do you have a book you’d like to write one day but don’t feel you’re ready to attempt it yet?
Yep. But I'm not going to tell you about it, sorry.

15. Which story has your heart and won’t let go?
I think about my second NaNoWriMo story a lot. It wasn't exactly my favorite story, but I had to develop so many things (like part of a language, a map, and mythical creatures) and I think that made me really attached to it. I thought of nothing else for weeks.

If you mean stories that I've read, the book Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro is always on my mind.

--Emily

4 comments:

  1. I got really serious about writing in middle school as well. I'm still in high school, and I've found that every year I take writing more and more seriously. Just like you, I really want to write a novel that I love 100%, or the novel that I call THE NOVEL. I haven't reached a point yet where I've finished a draft, sat back, and said "This is really good. This could get published." Hopefully I'll get there eventually. Good luck with your writing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great first story. I didn't have a dog to turn into a fox (which is just super cool), but my first story ideas all came from imagining in the backyard.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Emily!! How is your 2015 going thus far? I think that, by and large, nighttime is a time of creativity so I can see why your best ideas come after nightfall. Have a super duper Wednesday :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My 2015 has been pretty busy so far (which is why I'm so far behind on blog posts!). How has yours been?

      Delete