Monday, April 6, 2015

Beautiful People Linkup #8 // Siblings!

It's time for another Beautiful People Post! I haven't done the last few months ever since NaNo ended, BUT I'm thinking I'll try to finish the novel this summer (I'm the worst procrastinator, you guys) so I need to get back into that mindset. Plus, writing community! It's the best.

[I can't get the button to work but here is the link.]

This month, the questions are all about siblings. Typically, my main characters tend to not have any siblings, mostly because I think I forget to add them in. It's one of my (many) flaws in writing. I mean, can you imagine Harry Potter if Ron had been an only child? I can't.


For my NaNo novel, my main character had siblings, but she was not close to them. (It's actually hard for me to remember all the details, so forgive me if this all comes out muddled.) She had an older sister that passed away, which caused her mom to shut her out and become a recluse. She has a few young siblings, but there is such an age gap between them that she doesn't feel connected to them at all. And the relationship with her mother has pushed her away from her family as a whole. BUT my main character (whose real name is never revealed) has a friend named Ava, who is a few years older than her and their relationship is more sisterly than any of her other relationships. So I'm going to be answering these questions based on her relationship with Ava, because her actual siblings barely make an appearance in the novel.



So that's some background. Now, the questions!

1. What is the first memory they have of each other?
The culture in the novel is a lot different from ours. All of the girls are sent to combat school when they are still children. Every year, there was a Visit Day, when all the mothers could come and visit their daughters. It was a really big deal. Like, a really big deal. In this scene, it's my MC's first Visit Day and her mother doesn't show. She's embarrassed and devastated and angry and ends up leaving the main event and runs into Ava, whose mother is also not there. They then have this exchange.



2. Describe their relationship in 3 words.
Competitive. Misunderstood. Difficult.

3. What kind of things do they like to do together?
Oh you know, go sailing and make weapons. The usual.


4. What was their biggest fight?
Their friendship grows rocky after Ava graduates from school. She is given military duty and the community sees her as extremely successful, especially after she defeats a sea monster. But my MC grows more and more jealous of Ava during this time, especially since she feels that her own success is being overshadowed. 



5. How far would they go to save each other?
Honestly, I'm not sure. The fact is that Ava knew the truth about Arcadia, but didn't (couldn't?) save my MC from it. I think she tried and she definitely thought about it, but felt that my MC would never believe her. BUT neither of them knew exactly how bad things would get. If they did, I think they would both do anything necessary to save the other.

6. What are their pet peeves about each other?
My MC both loves and hates how successful Ava is, to the point that it hinders their friendship. Ava hates that my MC is unable to question Arcadia's motives. Both of these create a divide that is never really able to be resolved.

7. What are their favorite things about each other?
I don't get the chance to enter Ava's mind a lot, but I think she admires my MC's drive and passion. My MC admires Ava's ferocity and skill with battle and sailing, and also her wisdom and sassy-ness.

8. What traits do they share? Mannerisms, clothing, quirks, looks, etc?
They're both a bit stubborn. They like impressing people. Ava's a bit sarcastic. Ava's hair is cropped really short, while my MC's is long, but after the destruction of Arcadia, she cuts her hair short like Ava's had been.

9. Who has the strongest personality?
Ava. Definitely Ava. She's a feisty, radical force of nature. My MC tries her best to be like her, but she's not as driven. She does what she's told, she doesn't question anything. Ava knows better. She's fully committed to what she believes in, but she comes to her beliefs by herself.

10. How does their relationship change throughout your story?
At the beginning, my MC is in awe over Ava. That's all she wants to be. Then, she starts becoming more and more envious of her. I think she feels like no matter how successful she is, she will never measure up to Ava in the community's eyes. After Ava graduates, they barely see each other, and my MC begins to spend most of her time with her new friend, Festus. 

In this excerpt, Festus and my MC have managed to capture a child of Galt that was trespassing on Arcadia soil and hunting the endangered species. He is tried, convicted, and executed. It is tradition that the blood be offered as a sacrifice to Hume, Arcadia's deity. But instead of this honor going to my MC or Festus, it is given to Ava.


But then Ava goes missing, which changes everything. From then on, she feels guilty about the way their friendship ended. I think the haircut is a subtle representation of that. When she finds out that Elayer has information over what happened to Ava, she snaps--she expects that he has hurt her, so she nearly beats him to death before giving him the chance to explain anything.


Hope you guys enjoyed this linkup! This story has a lot of subplots and weird customs, so it's a bit hard to explain in a short post, but it was really beneficial for me to get back into the story. I realize now how little I know Ava--my MC talks about her a lot, but I haven't really gotten the chance to really get inside her head yet. She is not present in the main events of the story--she only appears in flashbacks and through memories, which makes everything a little skewed. I only get other people's opinions of her. 

~~~

Once again, I changed my blog name and URL without giving anyone much warning (I'm sorry! I wasn't thinking clearly at how confusing it would be.) In case you missed it, this blog was formerly To Be Real, but has be renamed. Same blog, same writer. You'll probably need to subscribe to me on bloglovin' again, though, since the URL has changed. The link is in the sidebar. =)

Hope everyone has a lovely week!

--Emily
currently listening to: Bright by Echosmith

4 comments:

  1. Ooh, I love complex backstory-ish sibling plots. :-) I have one that's a bit hard to explain too, so I'm trying to figure out who to post about when I do mine. XD HHE. I looove the answer to #3. I definitely giggled. NORMAL STUFF, YES.
    Thanks for joining in!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your writing style, and the relationship between Ava and the MC is very realistic. Your story world is intriguing, I really enjoyed reading this. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow... I don't know what to say, other than that I'd love to read this story someday! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That means SO MUCH TO ME. Seriously, I never know if what I write is really really great or completely terrible. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete