Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Ten Things I Want To Do This Summer


I'm a bit frustrated/sad/disappointed today.

Originally, I had planned to take this summer off. After my first year of graduate school and my first semester teaching, I am definitely in need of some time to relax. But on Friday, I got an email from my department about two openings at a local company for technical writing internships.

After a series of emails and digging to find more information, I finally was able to get to the application page yesterday during my office hours. I started filling out the online application, then realized I needed to update my resume and write a cover letter. That only took me about twenty minutes, though, since it's part of what I teach in my technical writing class. I went through the rest of the application and saw that it required me to have three references in addition to my previous work experience. *sigh* So I had to email and ask around for names, phone numbers, and email addresses. I went home and waited for responses and finally had all the necessary information by about 6 PM.

But when I went to reenter the application, the link was no longer up. I emailed the company and found out that the position has been filled.

I was really bummed about it for awhile, so Deacon took me out to get some ice cream (because there are very few things in life that ice cream can't cure). Even though I had originally planned to take the summer off, I was kind of looking forward to this internship. Finally, something that I'm 100% qualified for! Something that I don't have to move away for! Experience that fits my career goals!

And even though I still need time for relaxation, I'm the kind of person who always has to be doing something. I need to have some sort of something to be working on.

But today, I'm taking a deep breath and reminding myself that there's probably a reason that the internship happened to be filled within the three hours that it took me preparing for it. Maybe there's something else in store for me. Or maybe I just needed to be reminded to always have an updated resume and list of references on hand. 

Instead of worrying about it, I've decided to make a list of ten things I want to do this summer.

(Update: Apparently there might have been a mixup and there's a chance that I got the internship. No word yet, but one of my instructors is under that impression. I'll keep you updated. In the meantime, I still want to accomplish everything on this list this summer.)

1) Write.
 
I really want to finish the novel that I started during NaNo last November. Even though my writing was really terrible, the story and concept was really interesting and I want to see it through.

2) Edit
I don't want to just finish writing it--I need to go back and clean up that writing that I feel so bad about! I saw this suggestion a lot on this post at Paper Fury, and it really made me think. If I'm so unhappy with a part of my writing, the best thing I can do is work on it. Nothing is going to be perfect the first try.

3) Plot
 And while I want to finish that story, I must admit something: I have another story in my head. I've been passively plotting it for a few months now, but I need to sit down and actually get it thoroughly worked out. But unlike my past stories, I'm not planning on sharing this one with you guys. A lot of it is pretty personal, or at least based on more personal aspects of my life, so I doubt I will share much of it during the writing process. Besides, I think it will be good for me to have a piece of writing kept to myself for awhile, like when I was younger. There's something special about that.

4) Read
tumblr_mv3jydVzpk1s2wio8o1_500.gif (500×600)
I wanted to put this first on the list because let's be serious, it's going to be my main pasttime, but I was trying to be optimistic about the amount of writing I want to get done. But I also want to read a lot this summer! Remember that list of books I want to read in 2015? Yeah, I haven't torn through many of those yet because school has been so time-consuming (and, if I'm being honest, it's a lot easier to have a date with Gilmore Girls or Switched at Birth on Netflix than a 400-page novel that was written a century ago). Besides, I've gotten into the book-blogging side of the internet recently, and you guys make me feel so bad when I haven't read as many books inspire me to read more.

5) Get Healthy
I have definitely gained about ten pounds since last summer, and I wasn't even satisfied with my weight last summer, so I want to try to change that. I'm tired of barely fitting into my clothes anymore and feeling bad when I try everything on. I don't want to be lethargic and down anymore. So my goal is to eat healthier and wake up earlier to go on a walk/run in the park each morning. 

6) Study
I don't really want to do this one, but it's out of necessity. My comprehensive exam is less than a year away, so I need to start preparing for it. Next semester is also probably going to be busy (based on the instructors I have) so I want to get ahead on the reading so I don't have a repeat of this semester.

7) Decorate


Deacon and I have been living on our own for nearly a year now and there is still literally nothing on our walls. Just blank spaces (cue Taylor Swift). This has to change...I kind of hate having blank walls. 

8) Adopt (a fur-baby)

daaww baby!!! my favorite part of the whole entire movie. he's so cuteee!
So...Deacon and I are strongly considering moving, partly because we need more office space, but also because we want a pet. We've actually been wanting one for a really, really long time. So we will hopefully be able to get a kitty this summer and make our home a little sanctuary for him/her.

9) Photograph

I love photography...maybe not as much as other people want me to, but it's definitely one of my favorite hobbies. And I haven't been able to take many pictures lately! We barely have any yard in our apartment, which is like a culture shock coming from my parent's house where they have woods right outside the window. So this summer, I want to take more photos...not just for scheduled shoots, but also just for fun.

Plus, I have a photo printer now and I need to experiment. =)

10) Prioritize
I need to focus on what's important: God, family, friends. I want to be able to schedule time with them, maybe spend a few days in my hometown with my sister, plan a movie night with old friends, and just have a good time. I want to stop worrying so much about everything--about not being able to get that blog post done on time, or not reading that book before the movie comes out. I spend way to much time putting myself down because I don't always achieve the weird and unimportant standards I put on myself. So this summer, although I want to do a bit of items 1-9, I mostly just want to remain stress-free and be with the people I love.

What do you guys have planned this summer? Let me know in the comments!

--Emily