Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Five Authors I Really Want to Meet


Like, I would probably die to meet these people. Sadly, some of them are no longer living.


5) Markus Zusak
You may know him. He's written some moderately decent books. You know, like The Book Thief and I Am The Messenger. No big deal.

Okay, in reality, I cannot explain how much I love Zusak's writing style. It's so unique and wonderful and innovative. He's the only contemporary author that I feel is really poetic in his prose. His words don't just sit on the page, they come to life. They sit beside the reader and whisper into his/her ear. 

He writes the way I could only dream about.

The most recent book like that for me was perks of being a wallflower


4) Margaret Atwood
I haven't read many of Atwood's work, but I plan to. The Handmaid's Tale was phenomenal and her poetry is rich and powerful. She makes me proud to be a woman.

Margaret Atwood


3) John Green
I've recently kind of become obsessed with John Green. I started out just a fan of his books, but this year I read two more of his books and then discovered his vlogbrothers videos with his brother Hank AND THEY ARE SO GREAT. They are witty, funny, intelligent, goofy, and profound all at once. I've realized that John Green is more than an author. Writing is just a small part of who he is as a person, which I think is amazing.

"True love will triumph in the end, which may or may not be true, but if it's a lie, it's the most beautiful lie we have." John Green Quotes: 20 Awesome Photo Quotes From Tumblr



2) J. K. Rowling
J.K. Rowling Announces New Harry Potter Universe Film Series!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Harry Potter, #1)
I know she's going to be on everyone's list and it's a bit cliche, but I don't care. J. K. Rowling changed me. She made me into a reader. She's one of the reasons why I love books, why I majored in English in college. Her stories are inspirational--not just the plot, but the way she crafts it. 



1) Sylvia Plath
This is probably how you’re used to seeing Sylvia Plath — the iconic and tragic poet – usually only in black and white photos, and sporting her trademark brown hair. | Did You Know Sylvia Plath Once Went Platinum Blonde?
Oh, Sylvia. What I wouldn't give to be able to meet you, just once. You take words by the throat; you write perfect metaphors and figurative language; you knit sentences together seamlessly. You are an artist. You are a genius.

You still live through your words, but I wish the world still had you. You left far too soon.



other notable authors: The Bronte sisters, Elizabeth Bishop, Virginia Woolf, Veronica Roth, Lois Lowry, Jack London, F. Scott Fitzgerald, C. S. Lewis, Stephen King

I also love Emily Dickinson, but I don't think I'd want to meet her. I want her to remain a mystery.

Which authors would YOU love to meet?

--Emily

8 comments:

  1. Ahh sylvia plath! I should've put her on mine as well! The Bronte sisters were very close on my list but I haven't read any Anne yet so I thought I would leave them out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agnes Grey was my first Bronte read and I loved it! It's shorter than Jane Eyre and Wuthering Heights, but I really liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. JK Rowling and Markus Zusak were both on my list as well!
    My TTT: https://jjbookblog.wordpress.com/2015/05/12/top-ten-tuesday-4/

    ReplyDelete
  4. They are truly two of the best writers that I have ever read. =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was just asked this question a couple weeks ago for an interview! I said Flannery O'Connor, J.R.R. Tolkien, and W.B. Yeats. But if I could add anyone to that list, it would be C.S. Lewis and John Green. All of these people have greatly influenced the way I write and the way I think. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes!!! I love Markus Zusak!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Flannery O'Connor would be an interesting choice!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Me too. =) His writing is so unique and spectacular.

    ReplyDelete