Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Best Books I've Read So Far in 2015

Top Ten Tuesday is hosted by The Broke and the Bookish
So...I'm supposed to list my top ten books that I've read so far this year...but I'm a notoriously slow reader and I've only read eleven books so far this year, so it wouldn't be saying much if I listed ten of them. Therefore, I'm only going to rank my top three!

(I was hoping I would be finished with Cinder by this post but then we got a puppy--by "puppy" I mean he's seven years old but he's small and sweet and adorable--over the weekend and that has eaten up most of my time. More on our new dog next time!)

He is currently asleep on my lap.

I haven't read any five-star books yet this year (though Cinder is approaching that territory, but I never settle on a rating until after I've finished the book) but I've had a few four-star books. And really, I know this sounds weird, but part of me likes four-star books better than five-star books. Five-star books are typically books that I fangirl over, like The Hunger Games or Twilight or Never Let Me Go, and usually they start out as four-star until later on. Four-star books are usually books that I went in with no no preconceived notions on how much I would enjoy it and then I really really liked it.

I know that doesn't make much sense. I'm just very fond of four-star books.

Okay, so the top three books I've read so far this year:

18631568
3) Avatar: The Last Airbender - The Search by Gene Luen Yang
I know this one really only appeals to fans of the show, and I know it's a graphic novel so it might not count, but it was really, really well done. It answers the long-asked question of what happened to Zuko's mother. And it tells the story beautifully.



274186
This novel is short, and it did not have a lot of action, but it was powerful. It is about a butler who is going on a drive to meet a lady that he used to work with, whom he has not seen for several years. During the drive, he is reflecting back on the man they used to serve and ponders whether or not he was truly a "great gentleman." Everything about this book is subtle, which I think is what makes it so powerful.




13643133
I read most of this on the car ride back from Florida. I had seen the movie first, but the book was still engrossing. It takes first place because of its uniqueness. I don't read a lot of mystery/suspense novels, but even so, I feel like this one is pretty original. I loved Amy's character and the way everything came together. I might have to read some of Flynn's other novels. Any suggestions?



I hope you all are having a fantastic week! Let me know what your favorite book in 2015 has been and if you enjoyed any of the ones I listed. =)

--Emily

6 comments:

  1. Great top three. I really want to check out Gone Girl.

    My TTT http://readingawaythedays.blogspot.co.uk/2015/06/top-ten-books-ive-read-so-far-in-2015.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read ANY of these. XD I kind of want to read Gone Girl, but the movie terrified me and I think I belong in the children's aisle with the colouring-in books and crayons. *heavy sigh*
    But! But! QUESTION! If you fangirl over the 4-star books and love them so much, then what do you do for the 5-stars? ;-)
    Ahhhh, my favourites. XD OMG SO MANY. I've loved Ensnared and Fairest and The Unlikely Hero of Room 13B SO SO MUCH. Zomg, and also I'll Give You the Sun. :')

    ReplyDelete
  3. For me, four star books are like pleasant surprises. Five star books are books that I love an unreasonable amount, often for relatively unknown reasons, like Twilight. Or they are books that grew on me over time. I rate books so harshly that I very rarely give any five-star books, to the point that they have to reach a mind-blowing level of excellence before I consider it. Maybe I should start loosening up a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks! I thought Gone Girl was really well-written. I typically don't read that genre, but this one really impressed me. =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't read any of these books, but I've heard AMAZING things about Gone Girl, so I've been meaning to get around to it. Seeing it on yet another favorites list just made me even more determined to read it. Thanks for stopping by my TTT!

    ReplyDelete
  6. If you don't want to spend time reading it, the movie was an excellent adaptation. The book gives you more insight into what the characters are thinking, though, which was probably the best part. =)

    ReplyDelete