Monday, June 22, 2015

DYSTOPIA

Top Ten Tuesday is hosted by The Broke and the Bookish

So...this week's Top Ten Tuesday is Favorite Top Ten Topics We've Ever Done In The Past 5 Years, but I've only been doing this for the past few weeks, so I don't have a lot to go on. So I'm doing something different!

Since I recently finished reading 1984, I decided to rank my favorite dystopias.
So here we go, my Top Ten Favorite Dystopias.


10) The Maze Runner by James Dashner
I didn't finish this book. I really could not get into it, which is why it's at the bottom of this list. The movie and concept were okay, though. From what I can tell.


9) Brave New World by Aldous Huxley
I know I read this, but most of it went over my head.

8) Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury
Again, I know I read this, and I know it was about burning books, but I found a lot of it boring.


  3636

7) Unwind by Neal Shusterman
A bit lighter since this was a YA novel. It wasn't fabulous, but it was pretty interesting.

6) Divergent by Veronica Roth
I saw this movie first. It seems a bit like a Harry Potter meets Hunger Games, but I could get on board with it. I finished the book relatively quickly, but have little desire to read the sequels.

5) The Giver by Lois Lowry
Ahh. I read this before I even knew what dystopia was. It's a children's book! And it's fantastic. The only thing that bothers me is the total unexplained way that the Giver transmits memories to Jonas, but I can overlook it. Everything else is really well done.



4) The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood
This is basically the feminist version of 1984 and it is awesome and I need to read it again because my tiny brain could not comprehend the glory that is Margaret Atwood. And it has one of my favorite last lines of all time ever. Yes. Read this.

3) Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro
You all know this is one of my all-time favorite books so of course it was going to be on this list. But what gets me about this one is that the characters never realize they are in a dystopia. It breaks my heart and makes me feel all the things. Also one of my favorite OTPs.




2) 1984 by George Orwell
I found a lot of this book boring, but I can't deny that it was Orwell is a master of craft. All of these other dystopias seem more primitive compared to this one. This one is more advanced; more of its citizens are slaves to its ideals. There aren't hoards of people fighting against it. Really, there is only one. But this dystopia is stronger than the others on this list. Also the theme of rewriting the past was really intriguing for me. This one wins for chill and craft, but lacks on thrill.

1) The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins
Even though I think Orwell's dystopia is more flawless than this one, this book has several things working for it. It's action-based and really intense, so it's not a boring or dry read. (It's one of the few books that I can read in a day.) It's YA, but the whole fight-to-the-death thing makes the reader know how awful this society really is. But my favorite thing about this series is the strong Roman themes. I love that the author looked more at our history when pulling ideas for our future.
~~~

So tell me: what is your favorite dystopia? Have you read any on this list? Are there any that aren't listed that you like? Let me know!

--Emily
currently listening to: Next Year by Two Door Cinema Club

1 comment:

  1. AHHH I LOVE THE HUNGER GAMES. Like I'm a wild and vehement fan. *nods* Even before it was cool, so I should get like a hipster pin or something. hehe. I JOKE. I JOKE. I haven't read a lot of these, actually, even though I feel like I've read absolutely hundreds of dystopians. Obviously not enough yet. xD I love The Maze Runner, but I understand why it doesn't appeal to everyone. And I want Never Let Me Go now because ZOMG THAT MOVIE LOOKS SO GOOD. Andrew Garfield is adorable. So I'm going to look that book up ASAP!

    ReplyDelete