Sunday, June 14, 2015

Five Books I Want To See As Movies



I've been super behind on Top Ten Tuesdays but I like the topics I've missed so...yeah. I know it's Sunday.

[AND APPARENTLY I ONLY READ BOOKS THAT ARE ALREADY MOVIES SO THIS LIST WAS HARD]

5) Unwind by Neal Shusterman
I read this book years ago and I only remember one tiny scene from it. And I didn't really like the book too much. But looking back, I think the concept would be great for a movie. And according to Wikipedia, "A film adaptation of Unwind is currently in production by independent producers," so yeah. It's going to happen.

4) I Am Legend by Richard Matheson
I know this is kind of cheating. There is a movie for this, made in 2007 and starring Will Smith. And I really like that movie, I do! But IT IS NOTHING LIKE THE BOOK. Sometimes, a book has a perfect ending. And sometimes filmmakers think that this perfect ending is too artsy and flawless to bestow upon moviegoers, so they change it. *cough* My Sister's Keeper *cough* So even though I like the 2007 movie, I do not think it was in any way a representation of the book. Not only was the ending completely different, but so was the setting, the backstory, and the overall concept. Also, in the movie, he's fighting zombies, whereas in the book they are VAMPIRES.
And did I mention that they changed the ending? I mean, do you know what the title means after watching the movie version? No. No you don't.
[It's also been made into two other films, in 1964 and 1971, but I have not seen those versions.]

3) The Catcher in the Rye by J. D. Salinger
You know, I kind of like that this has not been made into a movie yet. It makes it feel special. Intimate and peaceful, like an uncharted island. Still, I would love to see it portrayed on screen, though I do think it would be difficult to capture Holden's first-person narration in a film format.

2) Nineteen Minutes by Jodi Picoult
Picoult and I have a love/hate relationship, but this is one of my favorite books. Ever. I think a movie would be chilling and emotional and phenomenal.

1) Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher
This is also one of my favorite books, though I know a lot of people who have varying opinions over it. Film rights where purchased in 2011 and Selena Gomez was cast as Hannah, but it still hasn't been made. And even though the story is told through Hannah's recordings, I think it would translate well to screen. My one concern is that there would be too much Hannah's story and not enough of Clay's feelings/reactions.
~~~

So what do you guys think? Do you think any of these would make good movies, or better left as books? Are there any books that you would like to see as movies? Or are you tired of seeing popular novels being turned into films? Let me know!

--Emily