Tuesday, September 1, 2015

Characters I Didn't Click With



First off, happy Hogwarts day!
Second, I'M SO SORRY I'VE BEEN M.I.A. LATELY. I know a lot of bloggers have gone back to school and balance the two wonderfully, but this semester is already kicking my butt. I'm taking three courses and teaching two, but the main problem is that one of my classes is an eight-week course, so there's twice as much work. I'll have a lot more free time around October, though. So please don't forget about me. =)

(I've still been trying to keep up on reading posts, though, so know that you are loved!)

Also, I have some beautiful photo posts coming your way soon(ish), so be on the lookout for those. In the meantime, it's time for Top Ten Tuesday! This week's prompt is ten characters you just didn't click with.

 Dorothy Must Die (Dorothy Must Die, #1)28187

Scarlet // Scarlet by Marissa Meyer

I like the idea of Scarlet. Kind of. She's sassy, but I felt like she was just a more high-strung version of Cinder. Most of the time, she just got on my nerves.

Amy // Dorothy Must Die by Danielle Paige
Oh, Amy. I felt like her character was defined by the always-feeling-sorry-for-myself attitude, which got on my nerves. She didn't feel like a real person to me and I honestly could not care less about what happened to her.

Percy Jackson // The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan
Like Amy, I feel like Percy is always whining about his life, while I'm over here screaming YOU ARE THE SON OF A GOD AND YOUR MOTHER IS THE MOST PRECIOUS WOMAN ALIVE GET OVER YOURSELF. I've only read the first two in the series, so hopefully he gets more mature in later books. Please oh please.


 133350376990472

Cadence // We Were Liars by E. Lockhart
To put it simply, Cadence's problem is that her family is too rich. At least, that's what it seemed like to me. I get that a lot of bad things happen and she has brain injury, but other than the huge climax at the end, why is she complaining for the rest of the book? I don't even know.

Tris // Divergent by Veronica Roth
Even though I don't always agree with Katniss from The Hunger Games, I remember wanting to be her when I was reading it. I thought she was so cool. I read Divergent last year and did not feel anything for Tris. She just seemed like an empty vessel to me.

Mia // If I Stay by Gayle Forman
I wanted to like this book. I wanted to like Mia. But something about this fell flat for me. I like that she has cool parents but she is kind of opposite of them since she plays the cello and wants to go to Julliard. It's a nice change from the overprotective-parents-troublemaking-kids dynamic that stories normally have. I just really didn't click with Mia for some reason.


28960110909

Helen // A Certain Slant of Light by Laura Whitcomb
I hated this book, which was really unfortunate because I waited forever until I was able to get it from the library. The premise sounds sooo interesting. But I found myself not on the side of the ghosts. In fact, I was kind of put off by them. The way they possessed the bodies of young people felt...well, wrong. Maybe a little rape-y. It's been awhile since I read it, but I don't think I'll ever pick it up again.

 Trixie // The Tenth Circle by Jodi Picoult
This is by far my least favorite Picoult novel. In fact, it's one of my least favorite novels ever. Trixie is upset about a boy and then some bad things go down, and she ends up running away to Alaska. Yeah. The thing is that I never felt sympathy for her, even though I should have. I'm not saying that what happened to her was her fault by any means, I'm just saying that I did not have a connection with her, so I really couldn't understand what she was thinking or how she felt.


606855111019333

Grace // Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater
Grace is obsessed with a wolf and then has a romance with that wolf when it turns out to be a boy. *rolls eyes* Also, something about being left in the car as a baby? I have no idea.

literally everyone // Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte
Why do so many people like this book? Better question: WHY DO SO MANY PEOPLE CONSIDER THIS ONE OF THE GREATEST ROMANCES OF ALL TIME? Even better question: HOW IS THIS A ROMANCE?
*breathes*
People think Heathcliff is misunderstood. And, granted, he's not treated very well as a child. But that's no excuse for how evil he turns out to be. And Catherine is probably his half-sister, so it's an incestuous relationship. And then he goes and digs up her dead body. Because he's romantic psychotic.

--Emily