I missed this linkup with The Perpetual Page Turner, but I thought it would still be a good transition into the new year! So here’s my 2015 wrap-up and reading goals for 2016.
NUMBER OF BOOKS YOU READ: 30
NUMBER OF RE-READS: 1
GENRE YOU READ THE MOST FROM: YA
1. BEST BOOK YOU READ IN 2015?
The best book has to be The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern, but my favorite book was Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell. There is a difference between the two categories in my mind, but I can’t explain it.
2. BOOK YOU WERE EXCITED ABOUT & THOUGHT YOU WERE GOING TO LOVE MORE BUT DIDN’T?
And We Stay by Jenny Hubbard! I thought this book was going to be amazing. I saw great reviews, it won some pretty prestigious awards, and it’s about Emily Dickinson and poetry. It had all the ingredients for a book that I would like, but it was nowhere near as good as I thought it would be.
3. MOST SURPRISING (IN A GOOD WAY OR BAD WAY) BOOK YOU READ?
I was surprised that I loved Fangirl so much, and I was surprised that the Avatar: The Last Airbender graphic novels were so much like the show. It was great!
4. BOOK YOU “PUSHED” THE MOST PEOPLE TO READ (AND THEY DID)?
Cinder by Marissa Meyer. I know of at least one person who read the entire series after I recommended it. =)
5. BEST SERIES YOU STARTED IN 2015? BEST SEQUEL OF 2015? BEST SERIES ENDER OF 2015?
I started and ended The Lunar Chronicles this year and I loved every moment of it. (Except for most of Scarlet. Wasn’t feeling that one.)
6. FAVORITE NEW AUTHOR YOU DISCOVERED IN 2015?
Definitely Rainbow Rowell. Why was I so late to climb aboard this train? Her books are so great!
7. BEST BOOK FROM A GENRE YOU DON’T TYPICALLY READ/WAS OUT OF YOUR COMFORT ZONE?
I think this one has to go to Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn. I hardly ever read murder/mysteries, especially those for adults. But I loved this book.
8. MOST ACTION-PACKED/THRILLING/UNPUTDOWNABLE BOOK OF THE YEAR?
The Martian. Man. So many things happened in that book. I was on the edge of my seat through all of it.
9. BOOK YOU READ IN 2015 THAT YOU ARE MOST LIKELY TO RE-READ NEXT YEAR?
Hm. Probably Carry On! There were a few things that I didn’t catch or that didn’t make sense at the time, so I’d like to read it again. Plus #SnowBaz
10. FAVORITE COVER OF A BOOK YOU READ IN 2015?
This book was weird, and typically I wouldn’t pick up a book with two people on the cover, but gosh. These Broken Stars is gorgeous.
11. MOST MEMORABLE CHARACTER OF 2015?
Captain Carswell Thorne. =)
12. MOST BEAUTIFULLY WRITTEN BOOK READ IN 2015?
Hands down, The Night Circus. But Wintergirls comes in second.
13. MOST THOUGHT-PROVOKING/ LIFE-CHANGING BOOK OF 2015?
1984, of course, but also The Remains of the Day, The Old Man and the Sea, A Thousand Mornings, and Paper Towns
14. BOOK YOU CAN’T BELIEVE YOU WAITED UNTIL 2015 TO FINALLY READ?
1984! Most people had to read it in high school, but somehow it was never included in my curriculum. Also The Lightning Thief. And Fever 1793.
15. FAVORITE PASSAGE/QUOTE FROM A BOOK YOU READ IN 2015?
I don’t keep track of quotes very well, but there were a few lines from A Thousand Mornings that I liked. Hold on. *goes to find book*
For some things
there are no wrong seasons.
Which is what I dream of for me.
- From “Hurricane”
I also liked all of “The Mockingbird” and “The Moth, The Mountains, the River.”
And, of course, there’s always something good in The Unabridged Journals of Sylvia Plath, which I’ve been making my way through for the past several years now.
“Perhaps when we find ourselves wanting everything it is because we are dangerously near to wanting nothing.” –p.193
“What I fear most, I think, is the death of the imagination.” –p. 210
16. SHORTEST & LONGEST BOOK YOU READ IN 2015?
Shortest: A Thousand Mornings: Poems by Mary Oliver (96 pages)
Longest: Winter by Marissa Meyer (824 pages)
17. BOOK THAT SHOCKED YOU THE MOST
(BECAUSE OF A PLOT TWIST, CHARACTER DEATH, LEFT YOU HANGING WITH YOUR MOUTH WIDE OPEN, ETC.)
We Were Liars by E. Lockhart. I didn’t like that book, and I knew something was up, but the reveal still made me gasp!
18. OTP OF THE YEAR (YOU WILL GO DOWN WITH THIS SHIP!)
Thorne and Cress from The Lunar Chronicles, followed closely by Simon and Baz from Carry On.
19. FAVORITE NON-ROMANTIC RELATIONSHIP OF THE YEAR
I really liked the friendship between Celaena and Nehemia from Throne of Glass. (One of the only things I liked from that book.)
20. FAVORITE BOOK YOU READ IN 2015 FROM AN AUTHOR YOU’VE READ PREVIOUSLY
I didn’t read a lot of books from authors I’ve read previously!
21. BEST BOOK YOU READ IN 2015 THAT YOU READ BASED SOLELY ON A RECOMMENDATION FROM SOMEBODY ELSE/PEER PRESSURE:
Carry On! I wasn’t going to read it, but I’m so glad that I did. =)
22. NEWEST FICTIONAL CRUSH FROM A BOOK YOU READ IN 2015?
Definitely Levi from Fangirl. He takes the cake.
23. BEST 2015 DEBUT YOU READ?
I was really proud of myself this year. Normally I don’t read any debuts. But I read 4 in 2015. The best, of course, was Carry On, though Winter comes close.
24. BEST WORLDBUILDING/MOST VIVID SETTING YOU READ THIS YEAR?
I think the best came from The Lunar Chronicles, but Dorothy Must Die did a pretty good job, I think. And even though I have no idea what was going on with These Broken Stars, the planet that they were on was kind of cool?
25. BOOK THAT PUT A SMILE ON YOUR FACE/WAS THE MOST FUN TO READ?
To avoid answering Carry On again, I’ll say Cinder. =)
26. BOOK THAT MADE YOU CRY OR NEARLY CRY IN 2015?
I didn’t read a lot of tear-jerkers like I normally do, but Winter definitely made me sob at one point. I can’t remember crying with any other book, but The Remains of the Day definitely made me feel things.
27. HIDDEN GEM OF THE YEAR?
Definitely The Night Circus. I know this is old news to most people, but I had never heard of it before this year, and I only read it because it was high on a list of great audiobooks on Goodreads. And man, was that true. That book was so beautiful and so captivating.
28. BOOK THAT CRUSHED YOUR SOUL?
I’m going to say The Remains of the Day, because it was so heartbreaking. It also made me start watching Downton Abbey, which is about a thousand times more heartbreaking. So really, that book has brought me much pain.
29. MOST UNIQUE BOOK YOU READ IN 2015?
What kind of question? Ugh. They were all unique! But I’m going to say Gone Girl, because I seemed to read a lot of books that alternated narration between characters, but I think Gone Girl was the only one that perfected it. Also Amy was the most interesting characters that I’ve read in a long time…perhaps ever.
30. BOOK THAT MADE YOU THE MOST MAD (DOESN’T NECESSARILY MEAN YOU DIDN’T LIKE IT)?
Cress made me mad because nobody says what they need to say! I was infuriated, but I loved it!
1. NEW FAVORITE BOOK BLOG YOU DISCOVERED IN 2015?
Beth at The Quiet People. I just love her posts.
2. FAVORITE REVIEW THAT YOU WROTE IN 2015?
My review for Fangirl because I incorporated Harry Potter GIFs and it made me happy.
3. BEST DISCUSSION/NON-REVIEW POST YOU HAD ON YOUR BLOG?
Maybe not the best discussion, but I wrote “5 Things You Should Know About Tiger Exhibits” in response to a local tiger exhibit. I worked really hard on it and a lot of people shared it, so I hope it made at least a little bit of a difference to someone, somewhere.
4. BEST EVENT THAT YOU PARTICIPATED IN (AUTHOR SIGNINGS, FESTIVALS, VIRTUAL EVENTS, MEMES, ETC.)?
The only thing I participated in was NaNoWriMo. Does that count?
5. BEST MOMENT OF BOOKISH/BLOGGING LIFE IN 2015?
Cait @ Paper Fury shared my post on Understanding Shutter Speed on her blog and it made me all giddy.
6. MOST CHALLENGING THING ABOUT BLOGGING OR YOUR READING LIFE THIS YEAR?
Time. I’m in my final year of graduate school, and I was teaching two sections last semester, and I had an 8-week course which meant twice as much work, and it was all so exhausting.
7. MOST POPULAR POST THIS YEAR ON YOUR BLOG (WHETHER IT BE BY COMMENTS OR VIEWS)?
Kyle & Jenna // Couple Portraits, Part One. My photography posts always get the most views, especially whenever I photograph these two. They’re adorable.
8. POST YOU WISHED GOT A LITTLE MORE LOVE?
I don’t know, probably my post about my Favorite Last Lines from books.
9. BEST BOOKISH DISCOVER (BOOK RELATED SITES, BOOK STORES, ETC.)?
Audiobooks! They have changed my life.
10. DID YOU COMPLETE ANY READING CHALLENGES OR GOALS THAT YOU HAD SET FOR YOURSELF AT THE BEGINNING OF THIS YEAR?
My goal on Goodreads was to read 15 books. I doubled that goal!
1. ONE BOOK YOU DIDN’T GET TO IN 2015 BUT WILL BE YOUR NUMBER 1 PRIORITY IN 2016?
Eleanor & Park. I started reading it last night and am already in love.
2. BOOK YOU ARE MOST ANTICIPATING FOR 2016 (NON-DEBUT)?
I’m looking forward to reading a lot of books from 2015 that I didn’t get to!
3. 2016 DEBUT YOU ARE MOST ANTICIPATING?
Nothing, really. I’m not very attentive to debut novels.
4. SERIES ENDING/A SEQUEL YOU ARE MOST ANTICIPATING IN 2016?
Stars Above by Marissa Meyer. I hope it answers all my lingering questions. (WHO IS CINDER’S FATHER?)
5. ONE THING YOU HOPE TO ACCOMPLISH OR DO IN YOUR READING/BLOGGING LIFE IN 2016?
I hope to read 20 books, and I’m hoping to focus on books that I already have. I just heard about the #ReadMyOwnDamnBooks challenge and it sounds like exactly what I need.
6. A 2016 RELEASE YOU’VE ALREADY READ & RECOMMEND TO EVERYONE:
I don’t read ARCs! (I’m not a real book blogger, I know.)
currently listening to: Love in the Dark by Adele