Monday, January 11, 2016

Carry On, Eleanor & Park // How Rainbow Rowell Ruins Me

  

I started this post wanting to write a review of Carry On by Rainbow Rowell. But then I got caught up reading a few other things to get to 30 books by the end of the year. And then I read Eleanor & Park at the start of 2016, and now I'm ruined.

Both books were perfectly amazing, of course.
(I don't know why it took me so long to read Rainbow Rowell's books. They. are. so. good.)

I was skeptical about Carry On, to be honest. The snippets were my least favorite part of Fangirl. And it felt kind of like cheating, since it is so similar to Harry Potter. It's practically a Harry Potter fanfiction, right?

That's what I thought going in, and for about half of the book. But then it changed. It took on its own identity along the way, and it was wonderful.

There were some things about it that I didn't care for. It has about a billion narrators, and a few subplots that I thought were unnecessary, and a few things that really confused me. But on top of it all, you have the ship to end all ships and it's worth it . Yeah, it takes awhile to get there, but thankfully the chapters are short and it goes by pretty fast.

Also, the book is funny. I was cracking up through most of it. It's so witty and fun.

So I gave it 4/5 stars. Pretty good, but a few things that didn't work for me.



So anyway, I was going to write a full review on here, but then I read Eleanor & Park and it ruined my life.

I know Eleanor & Park is old news, but it still took me by surprise. I thought it would be good, but I had still read some negative reviews over it, and was still a little skeptical. I didn't expect for it to completely engulf me the way it did.

Rowell knows exactly how to make her readers feel. The adorableness that is Eleanor & Park is blinding and overwhelming.

But that's just it. Even though I loved the book, I felt so drained afterwards. The same thing happened to me after reading Fangirl. It left me drained, and it left me feeling like no book would ever be that good again, so what's the point of reading? (Not to mention that I will never be able to write like that, so what's the point of writing?)

I haven't picked up another YA since I finished, which was on January 3rd. And that's partly because I've been working on things for school and playing HeartGold, but still. Rowell's books are so good that they put me in gigantic reading slumps afterwards.

It's like overindulging on chocolate.

Have you read Carry On or Eleanor & Park? Do you experience reading slumps like this? How do you get through it?

--Emily
currently listening to:Delilah by Florence + The Machine