Tuesday, May 17, 2016

books I bought on a whim (or alternatively: cases when I definitely judged by the cover)


Oh, the days when I would go to bookstores and just pick things up without knowing anything about them. I feel like those days are long gone. In fact, all of the books on this list were purchased a long time ago, before I even got into book blogging. Now, I hardly do anything spontaneously!

I've read some of these. Hated some, loved others. A few I haven't read yet. I've sold a lot of them that I thought I was interested in and then lost interest the longer it sat on my shelf.

I'm linking up with The Broke and The Bookish for a Top Ten Tuesday! The theme this week is top ten books you picked up on a whim.


Read:


Life of Pi by Yann Martel. I bought this before the movie came out because it had a tiger on the cover. Then I forgot about it until the movie came out and read it before watching it. It's probably my most successful impulse buy. Such an amazing book!

Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keyes. I saw this one in a bookshop and loved the mouse on the cover, but I was already in the checkout line and couldn't buy it. A few years later, I found it again. I had no idea what it was about, but I bought it. My husband and I both really liked it. (Except for the fact that someone had written a huge spoiler on a piece of paper and stuck it into the pages at the bookstore. NOT COOL.)

If I Stay by Gayle Forman. I think I got this at Walmart because I liked the cover. I ended up feeling meh about the book.

Drums, Girls and Dangerous Pie by Jordan Sonneblick. This came from a school book fair, I think? I liked it...I think I might have even cried. It's been awhile now, so I might have to give it another go to see if it holds up. I did have Notes from the Midnight Driver, but I think I got rid of it because I didn't like it.

Luna by Julie Ann Peters. This was another school book fair buy. I've talked about it a lot so just suffice it to say that I loved it.

Forever...by Judy Blume. My friend was giving books away because she was moving and I picked this up because I had never read anything by Judy Blume. And I ended up hating it. One of the most frustrating books I've ever read.


Haven't Read:


A Wolf at the Table by Augusten Burroughs

Three Little Words by Ashley Rhodes-Courter

The Burn Journals by Brent Runyon

Right Behind You by Gail Giles

~~~

Let me know what books YOU picked up on a whim! Do we match at all? Have you read any of them? Should I read the ones I haven't yet? What was your most successful impulse buy?

--Emily