Tuesday, May 31, 2016

May Updates


events
- I graduated! I am now a master and wrote an entire post about it. And a lot of people read it even though I really didn't intend for it to be so popular? Funny the way that always happens.

- Deacon has an internship. Which is great and awesome but also means that we're spending a lot of time apart this summer and I'm regretting my decision to read Landline.

- I got a bird feeder! And am planning to do a whole post about it but for the time being just know that it has been spectacular.

IMG_4799

- My jump drive died. RIP little one, you served me well these past 4 years. I'm trying my best not to be too upset about the loss, but it was a 16 GB jump drive given to me by Deacon long ago and held pretty much everything I've written or created in the past four years. Thankfully, I backed it up on my external hard drive in February, so I didn't lose everything, but I did lose most everything from the past three months.

This month had the most pageviews in the history of my blog. So thanks for that. =) I'm pretty sure it was due to Tyler and Amanda's baby and nothing with my normal content or writing, but it's still nice. I don't focus on page views too much, but they have gone up over the past year and I'm enjoying it. I know my blog is less structured than most, but I'm glad to see it's still working out for you guys. =) Let me know if you have any suggestions over content or ideas for future posts. 



thoughts
- The Cincinnati Zoo. I'm tempted to do a whole post about it but I don't want to add fuel to the fire. Basically I'm just tired of hearing about it and seeing ignorant people post ignorant things. I'm planning to avoid Facebook for awhile, otherwise I feel I might lose some friendships.

- I've missed my last two haircuts and it. is. killing. me. I like the fact that I'm almost able to pull off a normal ponytail but I hate just about everything else. My right side has revolted against me and refuses to flip correctly. Also I need bangs so I can be Taylor Swift.


- Pokemon names fascinate me. Not the names themselves but the localization process. I've kind of been intrigued by intercultural communication ever since I took a class on it last year (I even chose it as one of the subjects for my comprehensive exam.) If you're not fans you might not realize this, but each Pokemon has a unique name that kind of describes what it looks like or its ability or something about it. They're usually put together by merging two words in a language. But these aren't really translatable, and since Pokemon is popular worldwide, the names have to be localized for different areas and languages, which has recently caused some problems in China. The whole thing really intrigues me and would be a fun job for a technical communicator/translator. =)

- The last college paper I ever submitted got the harshest criticism. I'm on good terms with the professor so I don't think it was meant as harsh as it sounds, but I'm not good with criticism to begin with so it was kinda hard for me to get over.
Your style is of the vague hand-waving type people despise in academics - change before you can't. 
I mean, I guess it's good to be honest with students. And I know I need to learn how to take criticism. But gosh.



rex report
Rex tore his ACL last week, which is apparently a common injury in dogs but can't really be fixed. There are surgery options, but for now he's on rest for three weeks with no exercise. He's not too happy about not being able to go to the park and chase bunnies, but all in all has been pretty good. He's surprisingly adept on three legs. But he's started to be able to put more weight on the injured leg, so I think all is going well. No major problems with getting him to take his medicine (we've pretty much got it down to a science.) He also got a new bed, which is bigger and softer than the one pictured below. It also has an opening at the front that's easier for him to get in and out of. We also finally got him updated tags!

IMG_4857



tv shows
Downton Abbey (finally finished the finale. Love this show and sad to see it end.)
Big Bang Theory (finished season 8)
Korra Book 4 (rewatch + commentary - this show is beautiful. You should watch in on blu-ray for the animation alone if nothing else)




movies
Crimson Peak (meh)
Captain America: Civil War (really liked it)
Deadpool (enjoyed it)
The Witch (it was okay?)
Beauty and the Beast (rewatch - like it. BUT WHAT ARE THOSE PLOT HOLES)
Frozen (rewatch - love it)
Tangled (rewatch - love it)
X-Men: Apocalypse (liked it)




books
Simon vs the Homo Sapiens Agenda by Becky Albertalli (loved it)
The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins (I liked it, but expected more for all the hype)
Made You Up by Francesca Zappia (I liked it but wanted to love it)
The Winner's Trilogy by Marie Rutkoski (all three books were just okay)

      

currently reading: Landline by Rainbow Rowell
~~~

Tell me how your May was! What movie was your favorite? Do you have vacations planned? Any advice for coping with the loss of my jump drive? Let me know!

--Emily