Tuesday, October 11, 2016

books I read because you told me to.

I basically have no free will when it comes to picking up books these days. I'm 100% a follower.




This week's Top Ten Tuesday prompt: Books You Read Because of Recommendation. I'm going to be combining direct recommendations from my friends/family with more general recommendations from book bloggers and Goodreads users.


    


Every Day by David Levithan (recommended by my friends Jenn and Sarah)
I read Boy Meets Boy back in the day, but haven't read any Levithan books since (except for Nick & Norah's Infinite Playlist, but I don't count that because I hardly remember it). Jenn and Sarah were both English majors with me in college, so I trust their opinions. Jenn is pretty much my go-to book person.)

Fans of the Impossible Life by Kate Scelsa (recommended by Jenn)
Jenn really likes this author, and actual sent this ebook to me! (She's awesome like that.) I didn't like the book quite as much as she does, but it wasn't bad at all.

Carry On by Rainbow Rowell (recommended by Jenn)
Can you imagine that there was a time in my life where I was skeptical of reading Carry On? Jenn pretty much introduced me to all Rainbow Rowell, but it was this one that she really encouraged me to read the most. I loved Fangirl but didn't like all the Simon Snow passages, so I figured I wouldn't like Carry On. I was so, so wrong. (And bonus! Jenn met Rainbow Rowell and got a signed copy of Carry On for me. BEST FRIEND EVER.)


    


The Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater (recommended by Cait @ Paper Fury)
This one wasn't really directly recommended to me but Cait  pretty much recommends all of Stiefvater, particularly this one, on a daily basis. So I finally caved and listened to the audiobook. She was 100% right about it. (Note to self: Don't judge an author based on her werewolf book.)

I'll Give You The Sun by Jandy Nelson (recommended by Jenn)
The conversation in a nutshell:
Jenn: You should read Jandy Nelson.
Jenn: Her writing is really poetic and beautiful.
Jenn: But sometimes very sad.
Jenn: You'll love it.
Me: Okay.
Dorothy Must Die by Danielle Paige (recommended by everyone?)
I don't think one person recommended this to me...it was just kind of like the mass of the internet? I didn't like it much, though.  


  


Fever 1793 by Laurie Halse Anderson (recommended by my husband)
My husband read this when he was younger and has really strong, fond memories about it. He recommended it to me for years and I finally read it last December. It was okay? Probably would have had more impact if I were 12 years old.

Just Listen by Sarah Dessen (recommended by my sister) (back when she actually read books.)
I don't often read the books that Karlee recommends, but I remember her really pushing for this one to get me into Sarah Dessen. I read it. It was alright. I didn't read any other Dessen books.


  


Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card (recommended by my young adult lit instructor)
Ughhhhh this book.

My reading status 70% through: Hate the writing style. Hate almost everything. But can't turn back now. 

I chose this as one of the 20 books to read for my young adult lit class in college. I had heard nothing by good things. But I did not like it at all. I would have stopped if it had not been for a class.

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs (recommended by my friend Amanda)
I don't really remember if Amanda recommended this for me, but I read her copy of it and so I assume she must have suggested it to me. It was a few years ago. I ended up liking it okay, but not enough to read the sequels.
~~~

So let me know: What is your favorite book that was recommended to you? Your least favorite?


--Emily
currently listening to: Thousand Eyes by Of Monsters and Men