Wednesday, November 30, 2016

NaNoWriMo 2015 // Complete



I honestly am surprised I was able to win NaNoWriMo this year. I might say this every year, but it really does seem like it gets harder and harder. There were several days that I didn't write at all and chose to nap on the couch for a few hours instead. This was my first NaNoWriMo with a full-time job, plus teaching a class, so I really only had time to write after 6 pm. And when you have to get up at 6 am the next morning, it doesn't leave you with a lot of wiggle room.

I hadn't even met the target word count since Day 3.




This was also my first contemporary, and it was hard working on a story where I couldn't just randomly kill someone. In fantasies and sci-fi, it's pretty easy to add in a character and kill them off later. Deaths tend to make a bigger impact in contemporaries.

It also might be the roughest of my rough drafts (and not nearly finished). There are paragraphs where I just ranted about something or typed whatever came to mind. Towards the end, I would do 10-minute word sprints, where I closed my eyes and just typed. There's no telling how many typos are in those sections, but it worked. I'd write between 500 and 600 words with each sprint.

But, some major highlights:

  • I attended my first write-in with my region's ML!
  • I managed a 5K day for (I think) the first time!
  • I actually wrote 15,000 words in the last four days alone, which is a lot for me.


I'll try to post more information about my novel throughout the month. I know I haven't given you guys a lot of information about it. This one's more personal, so it's hard to talk about everything that's in it, but I'll at least try to share pieces.

For now, I must catch up on housework, edit pictures (can you believe I had three different photoshoots in November? I haven't had a single one since spring!), and maybe read a few things.

--Emily


~~~
Let me know if you participated in NaNoWriMo! How far did you get? What was your novel about? Are you planning to participate in the future?