Monday, January 2, 2017

2016 Book Wrap-Up + Plans for 2017

1.2.16BANNER

2016 is officially over...which means it's time for another linkup with the Perpetual Page Turner.
Also, I changed a few of the questions, so check out the original post if you want to participate. :)
(And be sure to visit my end-of-year book survey for 2015.)





NUMBER OF BOOKS YOU READ: 36
NUMBER OF RE-READS: 1
DNF: 1


GENRE YOU READ THE MOST FROM: YA




FORMAT YOU READ THE MOST FROM: physical books





 

 1. BEST BOOK YOU READ IN 2016?

  10626594
I think this is probably a tie between Eleanor & Park and The Scorpio Races. 
I think I liked Eleanor & Park just a bit more, but The Scorpio Races really grew on me.



2. BOOK YOU WERE EXCITED ABOUT & THOUGHT YOU WERE GOING TO LOVE MORE BUT DIDN’T?

  
I mean this is just about every book I read?
But no, this one definitely goes to Quiet by Susan Cain. I had seen pretty much nothing but great reviews about it, but I was very disappointed and nearly DNFed. It took me three months but I finally managed to finish it.

I also thought I’d love Made You Up…and I did like it, but had some issues with it.



 3. MOST SURPRISING (IN A GOOD WAY OR BAD WAY) BOOK YOU READ? 

Umm…Cursed Child. But not in a good way.



 4. BOOK YOU “PUSHED” THE MOST PEOPLE TO READ (AND THEY DID)?
 I really didn’t recommend a lot of books I read this year. I don’t think anyone read anything from a recommendation this year. My sister did read books I recommended to her last year, though…so that’s something.



 5. BEST SERIES YOU STARTED IN 2016? BEST SEQUEL OF 2016? BEST SERIES ENDER OF 2016?

  
I don’t read a lot of series. But I was pleasantly surprised by Crown of Midnight after absolutely loathing Throne of Glass. I also started and finished The Winner’s Kiss trilogy, but felt meh about the whole thing.



 6. FAVORITE NEW AUTHOR YOU DISCOVERED IN 2016?
I didn’t read a lot of new authors, but I guess I rediscovered Maggie Stiefvater this year after shying away from her because of Shiver.



7. BEST BOOK FROM A GENRE YOU DON’T TYPICALLY READ/WAS OUT OF YOUR COMFORT ZONE?

    
I read my first manga this year! I watched the first season on Attack on Titan and loved it so much that I decided to read the manga. I’ve only gotten through the first three volumes so I still have a long road ahead, but I loved every minute of it!



 8. MOST ACTION-PACKED/THRILLING/UNPUTDOWNABLE BOOK OF THE YEAR?

Simon vs. The Homo Sapiens Agenda. 
I physically could not stop listening to this book once I started. It was addictive.



 9. BOOK YOU READ IN 2016 THAT YOU ARE MOST LIKELY TO RE-READ NEXT YEAR?
The Scorpio Races. I loved the audiobook, but I’d like to reread a physical copy of it.



10. FAVORITE COVER OF A BOOK YOU READ IN 2016?

        
The Winner's Kiss, I’ll Give You The Sun, A Darker Shade of Magic, Seraphina, and Made You Up.
I  liked all of these, but I can't pick a favorite.



11. MOST MEMORABLE CHARACTER OF 2016?
 Park. And Eleanor. This was the first book I read in 2016 but they are the characters I remember most.



 12. MOST BEAUTIFULLY WRITTEN BOOK READ IN 2016?
I’ll Give You The Sun is hard to get used to at first, but it’s filled with such beautiful figurative language.



13. MOST THOUGHT-PROVOKING/ LIFE-CHANGING BOOK OF 2016?

I wanted it to be Quiet, but truth is I didn’t get a lot out of that book, so I’m going with Every Day by David Levithan. It really makes you think about gender and sexual orientation and love and body vs. spirit.



 14. BOOK YOU CAN’T BELIEVE YOU WAITED UNTIL 2016 TO FINALLY READ?

Image result for eleanor & park
Eleanor & Park. I knew the hype was real, and it did not disappoint.



 15. FAVORITE PASSAGE/QUOTE FROM A BOOK YOU READ IN 2016?
I’m really bad at keeping track of quotes. I liked a few from The Ocean at the End of the Lane, but it was an audio so I didn’t write them down.

Here’s some that I did manage to mark in The Unabridged Journals of Sylvia Plath:

“Living with him is like being told a perpetual story: his mind is the biggest, most imaginative, I have ever met.”

“For I must get back my soul from you; I am killing my flesh without it.”

“You are a child of the universe no less than the trees and stars; you have a right to be here.”



16. SHORTEST & LONGEST BOOK YOU READ IN 2016?

  
Shortest: Dog Songs by Mary Oliver (127 pages)
Longest: Seraphina by Rachel Hartman (499 pages)



 17. BOOK THAT SHOCKED YOU THE MOST
(BECAUSE OF A PLOT TWIST, CHARACTER DEATH, LEFT YOU HANGING WITH YOUR MOUTH WIDE OPEN, ETC.)
I remember being truly, utterly shocked by some events in Crown of Midnight



18. OTP OF THE YEAR (YOU WILL GO DOWN WITH THIS SHIP!)

Image result for eren mikasa
I ship Eren and Mikasa so hard even though they’re basically like brother and sister and I know it’s weird
but I can’t fight my feeeeeeelings.



19. FAVORITE NON-ROMANTIC RELATIONSHIP OF THE YEAR
I loved the friendship between Jennifer and Beth in Attachments. Friendship goals.



20. FAVORITE BOOK YOU READ IN 2016 FROM A NEW-TO-YOU AUTHOR:
Simon vs. The Homo Sapiens Agenda. I’ll be watching this author in the future.



21. BEST BOOK YOU READ IN 2016 THAT YOU READ BASED SOLELY ON A RECOMMENDATION FROM SOMEBODY ELSE/PEER PRESSURE:
I’ll say A Darker Shade of Magic. It wasn’t based on the recommendation of a specific person, but more like a group of fans everywhere on the internet. I finally broke down and listened to the audio and it was fine.



22. NEWEST FICTIONAL CRUSH FROM A BOOK YOU READ IN 2016?
Not a lot of fictional crushes this year. Rainbow Rowell always writes the best male leads, though, so of course there’s Park and Lincoln.



23. BEST 2016 DEBUT YOU READ?

[I’m taking “debut” to mean released in 2016, not necessarily an author’s debut novel.]
Even though it wasn’t the best, I really did enjoy most of Heartless by Marissa Meyer.



24. BEST WORLDBUILDING/MOST VIVID SETTING YOU READ THIS YEAR?

Image result for scorpio races
The island of Thisby from The Scorpio Races. It feels like I’ve actually been there.



25. BOOK THAT PUT A SMILE ON YOUR FACE/WAS THE MOST FUN TO READ?

I laughed so much while reading Attachments. 
My dog and husband had to routinely check on me to see what all the commotion was about.



26. BOOK THAT MADE YOU CRY OR NEARLY CRY IN 2016?

Image result for sobbing gif
I was such a mess after The Scorpio Races. That ending made me cry more than a book has made me cry in years.



27. HIDDEN GEM OF THE YEAR?
I don’t really think I came across any hidden gems. All the books I liked were pretty well-received and popular in the book community, so no real surprises here.



28. BOOK THAT CRUSHED YOUR SOUL?

Image result for sobbing emperor gif
 Eleanor & Park. It’s so good and so painful and so real.



29. MOST UNIQUE BOOK YOU READ IN 2016?

20820994 13262783
I’ll Give you The Sun was unique in the way it was written, both through its figurative language and alternating narrators/timelines. Every Day was unique in its concept, where the narrator inhabits the body of someone new every day.



30. BOOK THAT MADE YOU THE MOST MAD (DOESN’T NECESSARILY MEAN YOU DIDN’T LIKE IT)?

All the Bright Places. 
I don’t even want to get into it again, but I honestly can’t see why it’s so popular or why so many people like it. It’s destructive.

Here's a picture of my puppy:

IMG_8038




 1. TOP PRIORITY IN 2017:

  
Already reading Emmy & Oliver, which I had planned to read in 2016. I ended up wanting to give it some space away from Eleanor & Park because I was worried they’d be too much alike.

After that, I’m going to try to get through A Gathering of Shadows before A Conjuring of Light comes out.



2. 2016 BOOKS YOU WEREN’T ABLE TO GET TO:

      
I’m looking forward to finally getting to We Are the Ants, The Female of the Species, The Many Selves of Katherine North, and Dark Matter



3. 2017 DEBUT YOU ARE MOST ANTICIPATING:

30653853 
 Well Becky Albertalli has a new book coming out, The Upside of Unrequited, so I’ll have to check that one out. I’m also excited for the Wires and Nerve, the Lunar Chronicles graphic novel



 4. SERIES ENDING/SEQUEL YOU ARE MOST ANTICIPATING IN 2017:

 I guess A Conjuring of Light, though I haven’t read A Gathering of Shadows Yet!



5. ONE THING YOU HOPE TO ACCOMPLISH OR DO IN YOUR READING/BLOGGING LIFE IN 2017:

1)     Write down more quotes.
2)     Read more graphic novels.
3)     Blog at least twice a month
4)     Read 35 books


--Emily

~~~
What was your favorite read in 2016?
What book is your top priority for 2017?