Tuesday, January 24, 2017

books that should have had dogs in them.

Look, I'm a sucker for a dog. Dogs are the best. Everyone should have a dogfriend.

IMG_8034

They're such a prominent part of so many lives...I'm really shocked they're not in books more often? I mean, sometimes they are and it's great. Like as a gift between friends in Bridge to Terabithia. Or to show Celaena's soft side in Throne of Glass. Or to offer some hope/companionship in I Am Legend (actually the dog in the book plays a much lesser role but at least it's still in there somewhere). 

I really think this is an important side of human life and mammalian companionship that is being snubbed in literature.

So here's ten books that could have used some puppy love.


Today I'm linking up with The Broke and the Bookish for a Top Ten Tuesday
This week's topic: freebie!
[My topic: Books that should have had dogs in them.]


22628 11235712

The Perks of Being a Wallflower // Stephen Chbosky
You guys, poor Charlie went through so much in this lovely, disastrous story, and I know it's about the power of friendship and overcoming tough times, but what he really needed was some canine love and support. Because dogs will love you when you're at your highest and at your lowest. 


Cinder // Marissa Meyer
You guys, Bruno. WHAT HAPPENED TO BRUNO, MARISSA? I mean we get Iko and she's great. I don't want Iko to go away. But Cinder really needs Bruno in her life.

Image result for cinderella and bruno gif




13262783 2213661

Every Day // David Levithan
So this book is essentially how two people can love each other despite one of them being in a different body every day. How great would it be if it was instead about a person and his/her dog, where the dog recognized the person no matter what body he/she was in?
(I like to think that Rex would still recognize me if I were transported into someone else's body. Our love runs deep.)


The Graveyard Book // Neil Gaiman
I mean, Bod lived in a graveyard...so he should obviously have a ghost dog, like Jack Skellington and Zero.

Image result for jack skellington zero




13132816 5107

Emmy & Oliver // Robin Benway
So, what if Oliver had a puppy that he loved when he was a kid? Like, really really loved. And then he's taken for ten years, and comes back to find his sweet puppy all grown up and elderly and completely different. But when he opens the door, the dog remembers him. After spending so long waiting by the door for him to come home, and finally realizing that he was never coming back, Oliver walks through the door. And the dog's ears go back, his tail wags, and he runs over to Oliver like the little puppy he was when they were last together.


The Catcher in the Rye // J. D. Salinger
So, this book is like ten times worse than Perks because Holden really doesn't have friends to lean on. He's just wandering around in turmoil because his life is a mess and he doesn't know what to do about it. He just really needs a dog beside him.



  

If I Stay // Gayle Forman
Mia really needs a dog at home waiting for her to wake up. That is all.


A Darker Shade of Magic // V. E. Schwab
This book has multiple worlds. You would think a dog would have come up somewhere? A little scrappy thing to help Lila steal stuff...like in Oliver & Company?

Related image



  

Eleanor & Park // Rainbow Rowell
I mean pretty much the only things missing in Rainbow Rowell's books are pets. Where are all the animals? Can you imagine if Eleanor and Park shared a puppy or something? So. much. cuteness. 
I probably would have exploded. 

Related image


Carry On // Rainbow Rowell
Okay I realize it might not be a good idea to give a vampire an animal but I really, really want Baz to have a dog. I want to see that side of him. Tough exterior, squishy interior. The dog knows his true heart.

--Emily

~~~
Which book do you think should have had a dog in it?