Sunday, January 1, 2017

December Wrap-Up

1.1.16banner

events
- A building on campus caught fire. It was accidental and nobody got hurt, but it was a huge fire that I could see across campus, and they had to cut the power to our building for a few hours. 


- The semester is over! Which means that I'll be taking time off teaching for awhile. (I'm still working full time on campus as a technical editor.)


- I got a new FitBit for Christmas. It's a Charge 2 so now I can see the time and my heart rate and all sorts of cool stuff. I'm in love. 



- Christmas was just all-around great. I got most of the books on my Christmas wishlist, and a few surprises (Appa plush, time-turner necklace, and beautiful bag that I had my eye on). I spent time with family and played Phase 10 and cried at Little Women and it was a great time.

Isn't it just beautiful?

thoughts
- Why do we make units plural for decimals below 1? Example: I ran .5 miles.
Weird things like this make my job as an editor really difficult. Because sometimes English just doesn't make sense.


- Don't post photos of people on Facebook (or online in general) without them knowing about it. My mom took photos of us opening presents on Christmas and then ended up posting them online and it really irritated me. They weren't bad pictures or anything, but I don't want all of Facebook to tune in on my Christmas morning with my family. That's something only my family gets to see. 


- Along those same lines, I've been thinking a lot about taking photos & posting stuff online. And just documenting things in general. I have this need to feel like I have to quantify my life and experiences...how many blog posts can I put up in a year, how many likes can this picture get, how many comments can this or that get. A teacher told me once that poetry isn't poetry until it has an audience. I think that's the way a lot of people (myself included) are starting to view their lives. Everything must be photographed. Everything must be shared. And yeah, as humans, we're social creatures (and I live in the Show-Me State). I think there's something good about that. But I think there's also something harmful in it becoming a necessity. I want to be able to enjoy things for myself and not feel like I have to share it or document it.

(This is part of the reason why I hate it when people tell me to take a picture of something. 1. Most of the time, I don't take pictures so I can remember something. I take pictures because of the art. I like the framing, the aesthetics, the photo editing. It's not about the subject so much as the way it speaks. 2. Sometimes I want to live in the moment entirely and never see it again, rather than partially so I can relive it again in the future. Taking a picture takes me away from experiencing something. I can view it again, but I'll only ever be able to live that fraction of it. I will have missed the entirety of it.)

(Lots more to say on this one...maybe I'll dedicate a post to it later on.)


rex report
IMG_7875

Rex's arthritis has been acting up due to the cold weather, but other than that he's been great. He's been playful and we've learned that he loves tennis balls. My mom got him a new hedgehog for Christmas. It's like his old one and he absolutely loves it.

And we've been letting him up on the couch a little bit so he's pretty much back to his usual self.


tv shows
The Crown (finished Season 1)
The Legend of Korra (rewatched Book One and part of Book Two)

Image result for korra book 2
(Korra Book 2 is my least favorite but it has the prettiest animation.)


movies
Rogue One (liked it)
Don't Breathe (liked it)



books
Attachments by Rainbow Rowell (really liked it)
Dog Songs by Mary Oliver (liked it)
A Darker Shade of Magic by V. E. Schwab (liked it)
Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking by Susan Cain (disappointed)
Attach on Titan, vol. 3 by Hajime Isayama (really liked it)
The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman (liked it)

          

currently reading:


--Emily
currently listening to: Next Year by Two Door Cinema Club

~~~
Let me know how your December was! 
Do you have any holiday family traditions?