Tuesday, February 7, 2017

books I wish had pictures in them.

This week is pretty open-ended, so I decide to take inspiration from last week's topic about visuals. Because books with visuals are the best. It wasn't on my list last week, but I think the little illustrations at the beginning of each chapter in the Harry Potter series kinda make the series (please tell me the other editions have little illustrations at the beginning of every chapter like the original US edition). Why don't more books have things like that?


Today I'm linking up with The Broke and the Bookish for a Top Ten Tuesday.


  

The Scorpio Races // Maggie Stiefvater
I. want. to. see. the. capaill. uisce. And also Thisby, and the festivals, and everything.
The closest I can get is fanart and it's just not doing it for me.


The Night Circus // Erin Morgenstern
This book is just so visually stunning even without actually seeing it. Can you imagine all the back/white/red wonderfulness? 
It would be like if Tim Burton threw a rave.




  

The Lunar Chronicles // Marissa Meyer
This is now somewhat of a dream come true? The graphic novel Wires and Nerve literally just came out and I neeeeed it. But I really want the whole series in a graphic novel. Please, Marissa. Please.


Percy Jackson and the Olympians // Rick Riordan
Why doesn't this series have beginning-chapter illustrations?
Rick really needs to step up his game. 




  

Dorothy Must Die // Danielle Paige
I can hear you now: but Emily we literally have the most wonderful, beautiful movie what else do you need?
Well this retelling is creepy and dark and brutal and I need pictures please.


The Graveyard Book // Neil Gaiman
In all fairness I'm not sure if this book actually has illustrations or not because I listened to the audiobook (which was great, btw. full cast. highly recommend). But I'd like to have some pictures too. Can audiobooks come with companion illustration books?




  

Ender's Game // Orson Scott Card
Honestly, I didn't like this book. I felt it boring and mechanical and just...bleh. Pictures would have helped tremendously. 


These Broken Stars // Amie Kaufman
I somehow read this book in a single day but didn't really like it. It was so weird. It was maybe the weirdest book I've ever read (my review on Goodreads: this book is weird). Partly because they're on a weird planet for most of it, which would have made some great illustrations. 




  

I'll Give You the Sun // Jandy Nelson
Like the Night Circus, the language in this book is so visual and breathing, and it's about art, and I just feel like it really needs some illustrations here and there. (Again, I listened to this on audio, so it might actually  have illustrations? But I'm assuming it doesn't.)


Made You Up // Francesca Zappia
Look at that cover! Can you imagine if this book had included illustrations? 
I want to see what Alex says!


--Emily
currently listening to: Dear Hank & John, ep. 80

~~~
What book do you wish had pictures in it?
(also do other Harry Potter editions have beginning-chapter illustrations? This is very important.)