Sunday, February 19, 2017

Nimona + Everything Leads to You + Sleeping Giants // Mini Reviews

2.16.17

Nimona // Noelle Stevenson

I set out to read this book after hearing Kristina Horner rave about how awesome it is. It didn't disappoint.

Short Synopsis: Mysterious, rambunctious shapeshifter becomes sidekick to notorious villain who actually has a heart of gold.

Format: paperback (graphic novel)

Overall Feeling: overwhelming endearment and adoration.
I just can't explain how great this book is. It's so charming. It's funny, stunning, heart-wrenching, suspenseful. The list goes on. I haven't read many graphic novels, but I really enjoyed this, and I think it would appeal to a broad audience. (Also fun fact: Noelle Stevenson designed the cover of Fangirl. So she's just clearly awesome.) I rarely like sequels but I would read a dozen more books about these characters.

Rating: 5/5 stars



Everything Leads to You // Nina LaCour

This book went on my radar after reading a review by Loony Literate. Only a few people that I know have read it, but all of them have liked it. And I think that cover is gorgeous.

Short Synopsis: Production design intern finds clues leading to legend actor's unknown granddaughter.

Format: paperback

Overall Feeling: pleasant sigh.
Upon finishing this book, I promptly marked it at 5 stars because I was just so happy and satisfied. I've since knocked that down slightly because I like to reserve 5-star ratings for books that completely floored me and/or changed my life. This book did not change my life, but I really really liked it. The friendships, love interest, plot, family, etc. were all written very well, and avoided most of the cliches that you see in YA.

Rating: 4.5/5 stars




Sleeping Giants // Sylvain Nuevel

I picked this up after seeing it in the library on campus. The paperback version had just come out. I knew very little about it, but had seen a positive review and thought it was time for a sci-fi.

Short Synopsis: Secret organization tries to assemble pieces of giant alien robot scattered around the world.

Format: paperback (library copy)

Overall Feeling: ambivalence.
I was really into the first half of this. I had no idea where anything was going, and things happened that really shocked me and kept me turning the pages. But the more pages I flipped, the less interested I became.

I think the main flaw of this book is its scope. Each chapter is set up as a "case file." There are no dates, just numbered files. But the thing is...you don't get all the case files. Sometimes, they're sequential, but sometimes they skip like 40. They might be facing a problem in one chapter, then the next chapter is 6 months later and you just have to figure out what happened from the context. I was fine with that at first, but I think it really took away from the story overall. It was hard to feel close to any of the characters or their work on the project.

The epilogue was pretty good, though. It made me want to read the next one.

Rating: 3/5 stars



--Emily
currently listening to: Move Your Body by Sia

~~~
Have you read any of these books?